Coil pack & spark plug suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would measure the resistance of all 8 coils. If one or two of them is vastly different than the others, replace those. No need to throw away parts that are working fine.

My wife's 08 Expy still has the original coil packs.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i were not to use oem... i would probably try the denso version. They are available on rockauto. I heard standard makes the ford one if that helps. I could be wrong too. I used accel versions but they didnt last as long as oem. As for plugs.. i would use motorcraft but if i didnt then probably ngk. I would stick with oem but those would be my alternatives if oem was not available.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the member wants to replace his coil packs and plugs, let him. Give him the advice on the parts you have experience with.

I’ve got NGK’s in mine. I replaced the original Motorcraft with another set of Motorcraft. When I was getting it re- tuned after the Full Race Freak-O-Beast mod the tuner felt some missing, and pulled the plugs. There two Motorcraft’s that hit the bullet. He installed NGK’s as that’s what he saw as being the best combination with Ecoboost, and tuning. Run’s like a scalded dog now, so yeah I like’em.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used cheap Amazon coils, they worked great for about 30,000 miles, then one developed a miss. Not sure what exactly caused it, but whatever. I swapped them all over to Motorcraft. I've got ~60,000 on the Motorcraft coils in my wife's Mariner, haven't had any issues with those, and that includes after fixing the oil leak in the valve cover.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I replaced all mine on an 05 with the yellow top coils (not sure of the brand - purchased the whole set on Amazon for approximately $60.00 [in 2018] - less than the cost of 1 Motorcraft)). I was happy with them. I kept the ones I replaced (most were Motorcraft) as spares. In the 75K or so miles that I ran them, I believe I replaced one of them with one of the spares I kept.

If the engine ever misses, run it with a code reader/scanner plugged in and find out which cylinder is missing. Swap that coil with another one on the engine and see if the miss moves with the swap. If it does, then it’s the coil. If the miss stays on the same cylinder, then it’s not the coil.

DangerousDan

Reaction score
My bro-in-law worked for Echlin (he worked with NAPA) as a factory rep calling on Napa jobbers. He was eventually promoted to VP of NAPA operations. Point is, he was a very sharp guy. I also worked auto aftermarket. He told me one day, when Echlin came up against Standard they just hoped they had a better price. Std quality was equal to better. Both are fine lines, just get the best price. I have a 03 Exped 5.4 225k. I am going to change all coil packs and plugs. Beware of chinese counterfeits. They are not clones. The Malibo guy (sic?) on FB just did a video on counterfeits. You have to really know what to look for in order to know. Amazon and Ebay have more bogs than real deal! Amazon has my coills in Std for 79$/8 Rock Auto 92$/8 Amazon has true MC plugs 32$/8. Im sure yall know where Ill buy :) Dan

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My bro-in-law worked for Echlin (he worked with NAPA) as a factory rep calling on Napa jobbers. He was eventually promoted to VP of NAPA operations. Point is, he was a very sharp guy. I also worked auto aftermarket. He told me one day, when Echlin came up against Standard they just hoped they had a better price. Std quality was equal to better. Both are fine lines, just get the best price. I have a 03 Exped 5.4 225k. I am going to change all coil packs and plugs. Beware of chinese counterfeits. They are not clones. The Malibo guy (sic?) on FB just did a video on counterfeits. You have to really know what to look for in order to know. Amazon and Ebay have more bogs than real deal! Amazon has my coills in Std for 79$/8 Rock Auto 92$/8 Amazon has true MC plugs 32$/8. Im sure yall know where Ill buy :) Dan

Informative article about counterfeit Ford and Motorcraft parts, and where they have been sold: https://fordauthority.com/2022/10/ford-files-trademark-infringement-lawsuit-over-counterfeit-parts/

I buy critical parts (electric, plugs, etc.) from a Ford dealer or Motorcraft jobber.

DangerousDan

Reaction score
The MC coil packs Ive seen are 50-60$ ea. They are not made by Ford but by an approved Ford supplier (Standard,Echlin, Accell?) Ive used Std for 40 yrs. Very fine line of ignition Im on a limited income the diff in 400-500$ and 79$ is significant.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357