Coil pack trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sarahjo

Reaction score
I have changed 6 of my coil packs and spark plugs and am at a stand still. The last 2 coil packs are stuck to the wiring harnesses. There are no tabs to get them off, they are just supposed to slide off and won't budge. I've damn near ripped one of the coil packs in half. Any ideas to help me get these wiring harnesses off without breaking them? 04 expedition

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Removing stuck connectors is somewhat of an art. I usually make sure the latch is completely clear, often by tightening the terminal first. Sometimes I have to pry it clear because its tab doesn't work right. Once I know it's unlatched I look for a way to pry the plug out of the jack, usually with a small screwdriver. You can always soak it with WD40 and try wrestling with it. Wiggle, pull, push and all that stuff.

I've had to break couplings at times to remove the harness. In the worst case, the coil plugs are replaceable.

OP
OP
Sarahjo

Sarahjo

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know if wd40 would be okay since it's an electrical connection, didn't want to mess more stuff up.

OP
OP
Sarahjo

Sarahjo

Reaction score
Hey, i haven't been on for a while, but i did! I found a teeny tiny screwdriver and pried for what felt like forever, and got em!