Coil Spacer Lift - keep or remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ski_rush

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 EL with 200k miles. I wanted to replace the entire front suspension and I figured while I was there, I'd install a coil spacer lift, which I did. I might have bought the "wrong" amount of lift. I thought I read that a 2.5" lift for the front would set the truck level with the rear. I was wrong. The front is now a tad taller than the rear. So, now I'm left with the decision of either: a) keeping the front lift and lifting the rear to match, or b) removing the front lift altogether. Here are my questions:

1. Is a 2.5" lift in the front "too" much lift for the front end? That is, is the 2.5" coil spacer lift putting too much strain on the CV shaft? Is it also putting too much strain on other suspension parts, such as the front struts? If I want to keep some sort of lift, should I replace it with a 1.5" lift instead of a 2.5"? Or, is a front spacer lift too much trouble for what it's worth, and just remove it altogether?

2. The alignment guy said that he was just barely able to get the alignment in spec with the normal control arms. After installing the new front end and lift, I found that some people install upper control arms especially designed for a 2-4" lift. I didn't know about these until now. If I keep the lift, I will replace the control arms with the one designed for lifts. For those who have installed coil space lifts up front, do these control arms especially designed for lifts actually help with alignment and perhaps front end strain?

3. If I do keep the front lift, I need to now lift the rear make it not look like the truck is squatting in the rear. I'm thinking of doing a 2" lift in the rear. Same question as #1 above, is a 2" rear lift going to put too much strain on the rear axle? Am I going to have alignment issues with a 2" rear lift? Anything I can do to "fix" the possible alignment issue in the rear? Should I go with a 1.5" rear lift instead?

4. How much do you think the coil space lift effects ride quality? On highways, it's great. But, I noticed it's pretty firm when going over bumps. I was hoping the new struts would soak that up more, but I'm wondering if the coil spacer lift (especially 2.5" up front) is leading to a harsher ride than expected.

Thanks

Last edited:

ChuckEQY

Reaction score
Well,I think you should replace it with a 1.5 inch lift instead of a 2.5 inch lift

twodollars

Reaction score
I recently changed struts on a 4 corners of our 2013. Up front I added a 2 inch spacer. Made the truck nose high, so added 1.5 inch to rear. That gave it a slight rake. Problem with the rear is hard brake line length. I had to add so.e length to allow full droop without ripping the rubber line. One other thing to add, as the rear is spaced down the linkage naturally moves the tire forward. That linkage starts to feel preloaded (as does the front) as these spacers are added. I like the look, but not the tradeoffs. Front upper a arm hits the springs if the front end stretches out.

Reaction score
Freedom Offroad UCAs are working well with my Traxda lift. Wheel spacers would help with the 33" rub -- maybe I'll get a set with new tires later this year.
I ground off the stop tabs on the rear brake hose banjos and reinstalled with hoses pointing up for more slack.
The suspension overall feels less compliant, which makes sense, because it no longer rests at its factory "neutral point".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze