Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a slight rattle coming from the driver side turbo on cold starts. I’m thinking it is the waste-gate flapper valve in the exhaust pipe flapping like the guy says in the video in the link. Think I should live with it or use the warranty?

I’ll post a video of my Expedition doing it and add the link here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the oil 3 days ago with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic 5W-30 (6 qrts) with a MotorCraft FL-500s oil fliter. Expy has 31,800 miles on it. Also has an aluminum oil pan with a normal steel bolt drain-pin.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it in for a new turbo, That is the same noise my wategate was making,
if they put up a fight, Have them unplug the wastgate electrial connector and rev it up. the noise will dissapear. plug the electrical connector back into the wastegate and the noise will be back. proving that the wastegate is ratteling

here is how my truck sounded

Oh wow, I was just watching my video, do u see anything wrong here?

Looks like there is a bushing missing.

Screenshot_20200801-124258_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just check the parts diagram. that is the correct set up.
This seems like a bad design. one would thing, when the bushing start to wear out and there is some play in the swaybar link, the nut is going to rattel badley on the swaybar. I never seen a set up like this before. seems like a realy bad design.

swaybar bushing.JPG

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just check the parts diagram. that is the correct set up.
This seems like a bad design. one would thing, when the bushing start to wear out and there is some play in the swaybar link, the nut is going to rattel badley on the swaybar. I never seen a set up like this before. seems like a realy bad design.

View attachment 37416

my end links there GTG

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it in for a new turbo, That is the same noise my wategate was making,
if they put up a fight, Have them unplug the wastgate electrial connector and rev it up. the noise will dissapear. plug the electrical connector back into the wastegate and the noise will be back. proving that the wastegate is ratteling

here is how my truck sounded

Oh wow, I was just watching my video, do u see anything wrong here?

Looks like there is a bushing missing.

View attachment 37415

thanks! I will get it taken care of. Sucks though, wife is giving me shit saying “you spent all that $$$ on a ************* with problems already.”

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01