Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, they replace your oil and coolant.
And they should replace EVERY gasket, every seal, and every o-ring they touch as they remove interference parts. My Ford engine guy took the time to go through the list with me, while pointing them out on the car.
He also replaced BOLTS. Specifically, intake and timing assembly bolts that get torque spec that includes “stretch”. He said the bolts were one-time use only, and should get replaced anytime they have to be de-tensioned.
Make sure you bring that up.

I also had them replace the water pump while they were in there. This isn’t included as part of the TSB, but I think you’d be crazy not to. Water pumps don’t last forever. The part is cheap. But the labor to replace it is beyond stupid.
But while they have the front cover off and timing hardware removed to address your cam phaser problem, the labor to replace that water pump is exactly zero.
Since mine already had 50,000 miles on it, it was definitely a no-brainer.

I am under the impression that the water pump is external on the 3.5 EB. Gen 1 EB had external water pump.

Are you sure it is behind the timing cover??

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, they replace your oil and coolant.
And they should replace EVERY gasket, every seal, and every o-ring they touch as they remove interference parts. My Ford engine guy took the time to go through the list with me, while pointing them out on the car.
He also replaced BOLTS. Specifically, intake and timing assembly bolts that get torque spec that includes “stretch”. He said the bolts were one-time use only, and should get replaced anytime they have to be de-tensioned.
Make sure you bring that up.

I also had them replace the water pump while they were in there. This isn’t included as part of the TSB, but I think you’d be crazy not to. Water pumps don’t last forever. The part is cheap. But the labor to replace it is beyond stupid.
But while they have the front cover off and timing hardware removed to address your cam phaser problem, the labor to replace that water pump is exactly zero.
Since mine already had 50,000 miles on it, it was definitely a no-brainer.

I like this idea, but since I'm just under 12k, my guess is they won't go for it. I'll try though but given the last two posts, might not be necessary.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got the non-cam phaser rattle in my turbo on start-up. It's annoying, but that's about it.

I asked the dealer about it this week when I was in for my tail light and showed them a video of mine doing it. I like this service advisor a LOT, so he's not being a dick. He is going to show my video to his shop foreman and see, but he sent me this from Ford:

"Summary

To assist with determining when turbocharger repairs are necessary, follow the Service Information.

Service Information

Turbocharged engines may make a variety of sounds although the turbocharger is functioning properly. Some examples of normal turbocharger noises that do not indicate a durability concern include, but are not limited to:

• Rattle noise at idle or during light load conditions

• Whine noise that will track with engine speed

• Whoosh noise on acceleration

• Noise with wastegate actuation (creak, squawk)

Axial or radial play in the turbo shaft is normal unless there is evidence of compressor wheel contact with the compressor housing. Do not compare turbocharger noises to other vehicles as part tolerances, engine calibrations, and other factors can cause sound characteristics to vary between otherwise similar vehicles. It is very rare for a turbo to have a problem without setting a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Diagnostics should only be performed for turbocharger noise concerns if other symptoms are present in addition to the noise. The turbo should only be replaced if the pinpoint test for a DTC directs to replace the turbo or there is visible damage to the compressor wheel from compressor housing contact. Refer to applicable Workshop Manual and/or Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual diagnostic routines when DTCs or additional symptoms are present."

So basically, if there are no codes thrown and no driveability issues...I am SOL.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I don't like about this. First of all, an $80K+ vehicle shouldn't sound like a 15 yr. old diesel or vehicle with a busted exhaust. And I get not comparing this "turbocharged" vehicle to any naturally aspirated vehicle. But if I park one expy next to another, start them both up, and one rattles like a musical instrument and one doesn't, something isn't right. I don't care if it doesn't effect the operation, but at some point it will. Unless your manufacturing tolerances are that bad, it's shouldn't be happening. Noise is by nature vibration, anything spinning over 100k RPM's, experiencing vibration will eventually wear out, to me an answer like that is basically kicking the can down the road.

And I by no means blame the dealer or tech you're working with, that answer from Ford is pretty crap IMHO. I'm glad that mine hasn't denied it at all, and will start one place and go from there. I'm surprised that we got such different responses from Ford. But at the same time, I'm pretty nervous about these guys tearing apart the front of my engine. I hope that in of itself doesn't cause other issues!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this. To me, as I drive down the road, I'm somewhat embarrassed that this shiny new vehicle sounds like an old Ford Probe with half a missing exhaust.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I don't like about this. First of all, an $80K+ vehicle shouldn't sound like a 15 yr. old diesel or vehicle with a busted exhaust. And I get not comparing this "turbocharged" vehicle to any naturally aspirated vehicle. But if I park one expy next to another, start them both up, and one rattles like a musical instrument and one doesn't, something isn't right. I don't care if it doesn't effect the operation, but at some point it will. Unless your manufacturing tolerances are that bad, it's shouldn't be happening. Noise is by nature vibration, anything spinning over 100k RPM's, experiencing vibration will eventually wear out, to me an answer like that is basically kicking the can down the road.

And I by no means blame the dealer or tech you're working with, that answer from Ford is pretty crap IMHO. I'm glad that mine hasn't denied it at all, and will start one place and go from there. I'm surprised that we got such different responses from Ford. But at the same time, I'm pretty nervous about these guys tearing apart the front of my engine. I hope that in of itself doesn't cause other issues!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this. To me, as I drive down the road, I'm somewhat embarrassed that this shiny new vehicle sounds like an old Ford Probe with half a missing exhaust.
100%. I don't think it's affecting the vehicle at all, but...

Yesterday a buddy and I walked down to our cars from the office together. He got in his Yukon Denali and I got in mine. We both fired them up and his gave a nice grumble while mine sounded like a 1989 Ponitac with busted motor mounts. Luckily it goes away after a few minutes.

We'll see what the shop foreman says, but I'm not going to be a jerk about it if they tell me there's nothing to be done...I have an extended warranty for another 5 years so I'm covered if the thing grenades itself or anything.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a TSB for the turbo rattle?
Mine is at the dealer now for the cam phasers, popping mirrors and transmission noise. I put the wastegate rattle on the repair list, but the service adviser didn't mention it when I talked to him yesterday.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the phasers on 5.0l Mustang are torque actuated and have little to no problems. Most of these are run pretty hard. The V6 Truck/SUV phaser are hydraulic. I am not sure why Ford would have two designs. I am guessing, it has something to do with towing vs high performance. My last trip to the dealer on Monday, I asked about the 'new' 2021 Expedition. The sales manager said still no V8 option. He went on an on how he 'prefers' the turbo motor and gets in the 20's with MPG. We took his demo F150 with a 2.7l, for a spin. He beat the snot out of it and it ran pretty strong(don't ever buy a ex-demo). He claims the 2.7l, it a better motor. He also confirmed there will a option of 'third row seat delete', which I think is awesome. The Tahoe has it and it drops the price $4200. I priced a 2021 XLT third row delete for $57K, he said with rebates $52-55K.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the phasers on 5.0l Mustang are torque actuated and have little to no problems. Most of these are run pretty hard. The V6 Truck/SUV phaser are hydraulic. I am not sure why Ford would have two designs. I am guessing, it has something to do with towing vs high performance. My last trip to the dealer on Monday, I asked about the 'new' 2021 Expedition. The sales manager said still no V8 option. He went on an on how he 'prefers' the turbo motor and gets in the 20's with MPG. We took his demo F150 with a 2.7l, for a spin. He beat the snot out of it and it ran pretty strong(don't ever buy a ex-demo). He claims the 2.7l, it a better motor. He also confirmed there will a option of 'third row seat delete', which I think is awesome. The Tahoe has it and it drops the price $4200. I priced a 2021 XLT third row delete for $57K, he said with rebates $52-55K.

OMG! You are going to buy an EB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I want to drive the d
OMG! You are going to buy an EB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I want to drive the GMC Yukon diesel and been looking for a low mileage 2017 or newer Escalade. I also want to drive the 450hp Navigator. My current Expedition only has 110K miles. It is in good condition and it has so many new parts, it's a shame to change. However, I never would say no, to another new Expedition. If they had a diesel or V8, it would be a deal closer.