Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The water pump is external on the 3.5
Just got diagnosed with a bad water pump (coolant leak was the symptom). Parts on order out of the States. 7-10 days delay. Cost for the part ~$660 CDN plus install. Not covered. I tried to plead Cam Phaser issues and them going into the engine causing it, but they didn't buy it.

Also they are doing the rear pinion seal as it was also leaking...FFS

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got diagnosed with a bad water pump (coolant leak was the symptom). Parts on order out of the States. 7-10 days delay. Cost for the part ~$660 CDN plus install. Not covered. I tried to plead Cam Phaser issues and them going into the engine causing it, but they didn't buy it.

Also they are doing the rear pinion seal as it was also leaking...FFS

what’s wrong with these guys. The water pump is $120 at the dealer!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
what’s wrong with these guys. The water pump is $120 at the dealer!
Mine has an original water pump and uses the green coolant. Kind of pathetic a 2018 already needs one.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the 3rd "coolant leak" for my 2018. Both previous times it was the lines to the transmission. Now, its the water pump. Could it have been tweaked or damaged when they did the Phasers in May? IDK, but seems ironic they were in there fiddling around then and 5 months later the pump is done...grrrr

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Navigator has been in the shop all week.

I brought it in for the emblem light out and low oil level.

I asked why the oil was low, 2500 miles and very low oil.

They said b/c the oil was never changed?

I said to the manager,
You changed my cam phasers, then a few months later replaced the turbo, and never changed the oil?

When I picked up the truck after the turbo change, the oil was low, I brought the truck back to the dealer to top off the oil.

2500 miles later the oil is black and very low.

Their excuse was it b/c the oil was never changed.

What BS that is. 1st they should of changed the oil when the cam phasers were replaced, and when the turbo was replaced.

I can only imagine what crud is in the oil pan. From rtv and gasket material, or antifreeze that can leak into the pan.

As far as the low oil issue because oil was never changed is also BS

This is after the turbo change, the dealer did not top off the oil

20201025_120052.jpg

This is after the oil was topped off with 2500 miles on oil

Resized_20201024_101541.jpeg

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Vipersinu2 - Curious, and I'm not saying you're wrong as this vehicle is new to me, but why would they need to change the oil with a new turbo? None of my previous turbo vehicles needed that for example when I replaced my turbos (literally I did it) as the turbos weren't using engine oil. Are these different?

But also, my expy is in getting the phaser issues replaced, I double checked with them that they are doing the oil so I sure hope so. As this thread is about turbo rattles, here's what really annoys me, I broth mine in with both turbos rattling at 10k miles. It's so loud, going through say a drive through slowly sounds like a loose exhaust.

Regardless, what really makes me mad, is that after using stethoscopes on the turbos (both me and the dealer), we can hear the turbos rattling but Ford told them to do the phasers first. So rip apart the engine when you maybe didn't have to? Geez. I'm pissed but we'll see what happens. So far, my first Ford is not giving me a good impression, and neither is their treatment of people that buy a $80K+ vehicle.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changing oil during repair is cheap insurance. If any sealer, metal, or fluids contaminate the oil or leak out that a chance to catch it. Sucks folks are having issues with these vehicles. They're way too expensive to need this sort of work. The throttle body in my 2017 failed yesterday at 107,000 miles. Thankfully the part was only $110, but the failure was random and the inlet was covered with oil residue, which tells me that a catch can is in order. I'd be wary of driving one these outside the warranty period.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the SSM for the Phasers, an oil change is included. If they did the same SSM as me (they changed two phasers at this point) and did not do the oil change (but likely charged Ford for that "work") then they are scammers.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the SSM for the Phasers, an oil change is included. If they did the same SSM as me (they changed two phasers at this point) and did not do the oil change (but likely charged Ford for that "work") then they are scammers.

You might be right on the scam parts, The Dealer is also changing a driver side ac vent were a crome trim piece fell off off the vent luvers.
I went to the dealer yesterday to check up on the truck, The dealer said they ordered 2 vents b/c the passagner side trim was falling off also, I went and took a look and a took a video, All the other vents were fine. It will be instersting to see if the dealer bills for two vents when I pick up the truck, If the dealer charges for 2 vents or 1 vent under warranty, if they bill for 2 vents, I should send the video to Lincoln.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357