Cold Start Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groover

Reaction score
I have a rattle on cold starts that seems to be getting worse. Here is a video:

It lasts for a while so not Cam Phasers. It doesn't seems to be like the wastegate rattle. It kind of pulses but I don't see anything moving or loose underneath from my quick inspection.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The video says unavailable. Is the sounds coming from he engine bay or possibly under the vehicle. Ive seen CATs rattle. During start up before

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
Looks like it might only be marked as unavailable when viewing this forum on mobile? Works OK for me on my laptop. I can't tell where it is coming from but seems like underneath.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen videos where the turbo manifold warped. Perhaps it's a component that rattles until it heats up?

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've found what is vibrating and causing the noise - it is a pipe that comes from above the fuel tank towards the front of the vehicle. It is vibrating a lot. I can easily stop the vibration with my hand and I can also make it worse by touching it and letting go.

Is this a fuel line? I've looked in the workshop manual and I can't see it depicted in the section relating to the fuel tank. It's hard to get a good picture because of the large chassis crossmember.

I also noticed that the vibration doesn't start when I turn the vehicle on - it actually takes 15 - 30 seconds for it to start, but then goes away at some point after driving.

Here is a picture with the line arrowed.

Thanks!

Untitled.png

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
Thanks. That will help with the symptom but not the root cause - unless this is normal? I am wondering if it is a fuel pressure damper that needs replacing.

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
Dealer looked at it today. They said it was a brake line - seems pretty large brake line to me. Also said flexing is normal and there is nothing to do. I find it hard to believe the rattling it makes is normal.

Doesn't seem right to me.

ssmock

Reaction score
Try starting with the AC off. Mine 2014 did that and took it back numerous times to the dealer when I first bought it. Something to do with the compressor on start-up. Can't believe they built a car that was supposed to do this. Quick check and easy fix if that's the problem.

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
Hmmm... that is very interesting! Looking at the workshop manual it does appear that there are AC lines running from the compressor and aux pump to the back that look similar.

Do you know what they fixed? Any chance you could look it up? I would be ever so grateful!