Comprehensive 2018+ towing upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitch

Reaction score
Hello all. I've read and searched as much as I can and I'm trying to pull together ALL of the options for towing upgrades for the 2018+.
Aftermarket that is. Assume tow package etc. Assume load leveling hitch and proper setup. Assume proper air pressure.
1) Coil Sumo Springs. (Not sure which ones?). https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Ford/Expedition/2018/CSS-1168R.html?VehicleID=201811866
2) upgraded rear sway bar
3) upgraded rear tires; higher ply and this higher allowed pressure
4) universal airbag setup

Any opinions on what's the pecking order? I myself have a 2018 MAX Platinum with tow package. And a 35' 7000lb dry travel trailer. Wind is the only enemy.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d probably lead with tires and sway bar. Rear sway bar is a big upgrade for even those that don’t tow. The sumos are basically a poor man’s airbag in that they’re more or less only preventing the significant sag we get when loading the rear of the truck/hitch with a lot of weight.

OP
OP
P

Pitch

Reaction score
I’d probably lead with tires and sway bar. Rear sway bar is a big upgrade for even those that don’t tow. The sumos are basically a poor man’s airbag in that they’re more or less only preventing the significant sag we get when loading the rear of the truck/hitch with a lot of weight.
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking through TireRack and DiscountTire and did not see any higher rated 'towing type' tires than the stock one Hankook Dynapro HT RH12's (285/45-22 114H). It's an XL load range. Nothing shows a higher PSI or load range or 10/12 ply for example.
Now within the existing category there are higher rated tires than the OE's but that's it. I did not look at downsizing rim size to 20" or 18" mostly based on cost.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking through TireRack and DiscountTire and did not see any higher rated 'towing type' tires than the stock one Hankook Dynapro HT RH12's (285/45-22 114H). It's an XL load range. Nothing shows a higher PSI or load range or 10/12 ply for example.
Now within the existing category there are higher rated tires than the OE's but that's it. I did not look at downsizing rim size to 20" or 18" mostly based on cost.
Right, you have to change to 20" or 18" rims to get into the LT rated tires with the higher load ranges.

map76

Reaction score
What does upgrading the sway bar to a Hellwig give you? Is it stiffer? Is it a thicker bar? How about just changing the bushings and end links?

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moog has upgraded end links that may provide improvement over the factory ones. The Hellwig sway bar from what I understand is a stiffer bar with a larger diameter and thicker wall tubing is used vs. the factory sway bar. Hellwig provides new bushings to use with their larger bars.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni