Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the engine cover all patched up with JB Weld pro and let it sit for the week to make sure it was completely cured. My new reluctor wheel came so that’s installed along with the new front seal. I put the cover back on this weekend-no snapping or cracking sounds, so that’s a plus! The crankshaft damper installed without too much trouble (I got the install tool-glad I did). I bolted the power steering pump back on and connected the electrical connectors that were on the engine cover.
I retrieved more parts out of the vehicle where I had them stored. I remembered when I took it apart it was missing one of the idler pulleys. I ordered a new kit (pulleys, tensioner and belt), but I am not having any luck finding a bolt for the idler pulley that was missing. Is that something I can just take to an auto parts store and have matched up? I have the one for the other pulley. I can’t find a part number or a bolt no matter how I word a Google search!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have one pulley bolt, but you just need another one? Do you have the big washer that goes with it ?

Ford 5.4L Idler Pulley Bolt

Ford Idler Pulley Bolt on Amazon (Pricey)

View attachment 70466

I did find that bolt, but this is what threw me!
79B11D23-873F-499E-92BE-4EF182168FC0.pngD9AD4586-1AB0-4582-9FEE-2A87E54D3C91.png
But then this site says it will fit. This is the first site I’ve seen that said it will fit! The pulleys on my 04 are narrower than the 01 so I was afraid the bolt would be for that one. I guess there’s only one way to find out! It’s not a part that will break the bank. I do not have the second bolt or the big washer. I’ll let you know if it was the right one. Thank you

C308CC84-BEF9-4171-A581-2E1FC5C18EFC.png

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to attempt to put the roller followers back on. I had forgotten what a total PIA they were. So far-I did get one on! The second one I was trying to get I heard something fall. I was horrified to find the 2 little spring retainers had popped out. Of course I couldn’t find them and I only have one spare. The valve did not fall (I’m pretty sure I can still feel the stem-I can’t see down in there but I’m going to look with the camera). I put one of those strong little rare earth magnets on the top of the valve for now. When the new retainers arrive, I assume the smart thing will be to put some air pressure in there to hold up the valve while I try to get those tiny SOBs back on?

Is there any trick to getting the rollers back in? I was feeling pretty good about my progress until yesterday! It’s pretty discouraging to think in a matter of seconds I could be back to tearing everything apart again to retrieve a valve.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just turning the crank to get the cam lobes to the least lift position as you do each rocker arm. Yes air pressure into the cylinder you’re working on. No rocker arms on that cylinder till you get those keepers back in place. Do you have a tool to compress the valve spring ? And the adapter for the spark plug hole ( 14mm ) ?

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I have the spring tool and the spark plug hole adapter. Would it be OK to keep it pressurized each time I am trying to get the rollers on just in case I loose keepers again? I should have more spring keepers in a few days. I won’t touch it until then!

Is it ok to leave the air hooked to it and what sort of pressure should I set the compressor at?

Thank you!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think 100 psi or so would be plenty. Make sure the valve's not moving while you're trying to compress the spring though. Typical compression stroke pressure is 150-200 but you don't need that much just to keep the valve closed. It's really pretty rare that those things pop out like that. So hope you don't have any more troubles with them.