Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulling the head is a rear bear in the chassis. I've done it on other engines but not even on a standard 5.4 let alone a dohc 5.4..
As we've been talking about, it's almost easier to pull the engine if you're going to remove the head. If you have it out then it's a judgment call whether to get another one or two fix yours. Depending on the miles and if yours ran okay before and whether or not you can hear a new one run before they pull the engine. Otherwise you're always taking more risks. I wouldn't have a problem keeping the same engine but if it were out I would remove the other valve cover to make sure all the Springs look good and all the roller rockers look good with no slop or play in the roller bearings. Even if the valve on the bad head side has contacted the Piston it probably didn't damage the Piston. They are pretty durable. Might be a slight scratch or Dent but probably no real damage. You can buy a used head from a junkyard fairly cheaply or take yours to the machine shop. I think you said you knew someone that work there. Just don't go crazy having them do a complete high-quality valve job and everything and put two or three hundred dollars into that head. Just replace the one valve and grind it to the seat and make sure there are no broken valve springs or roller rockers that have bearing slop.
Then, while it's out you need to make a decision about your exhaust manifold gaskets. If yours were perfect and no leaks and you haven't Disturbed decide you were planning on taking off yet, then you could leave them on but they are a known issue on older and higher mileage Fords. It's safe insurance to just replace the gaskets while you have them out but be prepared for at least 3 or four bolts to snap off. I did them on a V10 a while back and I think I had four out of 20 that's had to be drilled out. A couple of other ones snapped off but I was able to heat them and PB blast them and get them out with vice grips but the ones that broke off flush I had to drill and easy out and then run a tap through them. There is a Ford kit and I believe it is stainless but it's all just a crapshoot because even though Ford has switched to stainless stainless is not metallurgically up to the task of being an exhaust manifold bolt but it works better than the factory ones. I just went and got some grade 8 bolts with lock washers and put them in.
It's just so much easier to do when the engine is out for exhaust manifold gaskets and then if you ever have to do one because it's leaking badly in the vehicle.
It really isn't that much harder to pull the engine. You don't even have to remove the hood to do it. At least I didn't on my Excursion.
I did have to let the air out of the front tires though so I can get enough height with the engine hoist to clear the radiator support.

Watch you have all the wires and hoses unhooked you just take the 405 bolts out of the torque converter to flexplate and the motor mounts loose on each side from the frame and then remove, cut, or twist until they snap off, the two exhaust flange bolts for the pipes on each side. You will have to remove the radiator and the fan and the fan shroud and pop off any other accessories like power steering pump for AC compressor that are still hooking the front cover or heads to the car.
It's really not that much more work. You just want to use a very very short one or two link chain from your engine hoist and a short piece of chain to go across the top of the manifold so you can get as much lifting height as necessary. Some people like to remove the manifold so they can get the hoist down lower but it can be done either way.
Once you have the engine out and either sitting on a tire or even better, a Craigslist 35 to $40 engine stand, you will wonder why you ever did it any other way.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The difference for me is that up here in the great frozen tundra,parts aren't cheap to buy. On my 07,the chain tensioner blew out which caused an immediate loss of oil pressure. I weighed the option of a used engine to repairing the old. A low mileage wrecker engine was/is upwards of $3500. The wreckers know that there's issues with these engines and charge accordingly. Replacing heads,chains,tensioners,oil pump,vct's,etc would have run me about the same if not more. I found a good used truck with a bad tranny(no reverse) for $1200. Engine runs great,when pulled,i replaced all the front engine parts and oil pump and still have less then $2k into it. Thank you Rockauto. I also still have a parts truck to sell the rest of parts off of. Just sayin' it's best to weigh your options. It's also more expensive to buy tools,like an engine stand isn't $35,more like $100. Again,my 2 cents.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, you don't have Facebook Marketplace with 50 different ones within a 20 mile radius you can go pick up for under fifty bucks. Engine stands and especially engine hoist are dirt cheap on Marketplace now and all over most areas.
Harbor Freight has saturated the market with cheap junk that's only a little over a hundred bucks to start with but it gets the job done for a few uses. People use them wants and don't need them again so they dumped them for fifty to seventy-five bucks.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Fordgirl,what's going on? Have you had any success with that cylinder head? Just curious,haven't heard from you in a while..

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Fordgirl,what's going on? Have you had any success with that cylinder head? Just curious,haven't heard from you in a while..

Still picking away! I got the crankshaft pulley off and the bolt back in so I could turn the engine. I finally got the front engine cover wiggled off. Now I have to get the rope out that I wadded in a while back. When I tried to pull it out, of course it knotted itself up. The knot is too big to come out of the plug hole. I was hoping I still had enough out to allow me to rotate it where I need to, but of course that didn’t work. The shop manual says to rotate so the groove on the crankshaft is at 12:00. I can’t quite get it there before the rope binds it up. I tried taping different picks to a screwdriver hoping to grab the rest of the rope behind the knot, but I was unsuccessful. My next plan is a nice new sharp exacto knife. I’m going to tape that to the screwdriver and try to saw at the knot and get it do come apart.

Thanks for checking in!! I won’t give up[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also unbolted the manifold from the cat. I plan on pulling the whole thing out like in the video-manifold and all.

TobyU-don’t despair-I will probably succumb to pulling the motor to get it back together!! I just don’t feel ready for that just yet.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. If you have the front cover off,does this mean you have the other valve cover off now too? I wouldn't worry about the rope at this point. Look at removing the timing chain on the one side then concentrate on removing the head. I don't recall which chain is on first,you may end up removing both chains. Once there,remove the head bolts and yank the head. Then you can get at your rope. You might also end up having to hold the head bolts up to remove the head,if there's not enough space to actually remove the bolts completely,the ones at the firewall that is. Good luck,you're doing good.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn’t going to worry about the rope until the service manual said to rotate the crank until the notch was at 12:00 before getting to the timing chains. I can’t get it to 12:00 because of the rope. So, is it that important to get it to 12:00, or is it only important to make sure everything is marked regardless of which position it’s rotated to? I think I will have to take both chains off by the looks.

I do not have the other valve cover completely off. It is all unbolted and ready to come off but I really didn’t want to deal with the air conditioner canister that’s in the way. I was able to get the front engine cover off without actually removing the other valve cover.

So I’m at the point I need to get after the timing chains and camshafts. I think I’ve been avoiding the garage because I’m a little uneasy about this next step!! Also, it’s getting cold. I do have a salamander out there but my tools are still cold.

I’m sure I’ll work up the nerve to get back at it. I was thinking my dremel with the engraving tool might be a good way to make marks for the timing chain and related parts that need to go back together in the same exact place. How do you guys mark all of the parts??

I will keep you updated no matter how long it takes me to progress!!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford modular is have dots and colored links on the chains that you line up.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford modular is have dots and colored links on the chains that you line up.

I’ve looked for something that looks like dots or marks but haven’t seen anything. I will have to look closer! Do you have any pics of what I am looking for and where?