Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So-I got the head back on last weekend and torqued the new bolts down like the service manual said.

Today I finally got the camshafts, plates, little chain and timing chain back on (after having to take them back off several times of course because I forgot how I took everything apart). I went to put the timing chain guides in and I think one is worn (pics attached). I assume it’s best to get all new guides while I can get to them.
7720368f80b8acfcd202329b72355cac.jpg
07571dcdecd59d8e5c4cabac332ab46c.jpg
1f990bb3d94787416026b23faf3a413d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya gotta wonder where all that worn plastic ends up in the engine. It's probably not heavy enough to got to the bottom of the oil pan and circulate into the filter. So it probably gets flung around the crank and it's bearings.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ya gotta wonder where all that worn plastic ends up in the engine. It's probably not heavy enough to got to the bottom of the oil pan and circulate into the filter. So it probably gets flung around the crank and it's bearings.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The plastic gets caught in the opening of the oil pick up and the metal screen. You may want to drop the pan and inspect it. It restricts the oil pressure.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For sure ! New chains and guides anytime you're in that deep !

Since I couldn’t get it at TDC when I tore it apart (rope trick gone bad)......can I put the chain back in as is where I have it all marked, then rotate to to TDC and swap to the new chains? I assume to do this I need to put the guides and tensioner back on too so the chain stays in place? What about the tensioner-should I replace those as well?

What guides do you guys recommend?

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The plastic gets caught in the opening of the oil pick up and the metal screen. You may want to drop the pan and inspect it. It restricts the oil pressure.

Good idea. I never thought of where the plastic ended up!!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Since I couldn’t get it at TDC when I tore it apart (rope trick gone bad)......can I put the chain back in as is where I have it all marked, then rotate to to TDC and swap to the new chains? I assume to do this I need to put the guides and tensioner back on too so the chain stays in place? What about the tensioner-should I replace those as well?

What guides do you guys recommend?

FordTechMakuloco, did a video replacing the chains on this engine.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ok-I have some questions! I got the new timing set and oil pump. I put the old chains back on where I had everything marked. My plan was to turn it over until #1 was at TDC and all of the marks ended up where they belong.

I’ve turned it over many times and can’t get that scenario to happen! I can get all marks where they belong, but #1 always ends up maybe about an inch from being at the top.

My plan now is to make sure the bottom at the crank is where it belongs, then remove the chains. That way if I need to move any sprockets, it should be OK-right? From the video I see I am not to move the cam without chains on because one side is still together (with the roller followers that will push the valves down). So if I have that (bottom sprocket at cam) in place, can I go ahead and remove the old chains then position everything (except cam) where it belongs?

Shouldn’t #1 be at TDC when the marks are lined up, or am I missing something??

Thanks everyone for the help. Great video-thanks hamfisted!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hold the phone-I may have had a cylinder mixup in my head! So looking at the motor, is #1 on the left at the front towards the fan? Please say yes. I was thinking that one was #4 but now I’m almost certain it’s 1. If so, it is at the top and my timing marks seem to be where they belong.

I might get those old chains off yet[emoji51]