Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hold the phone-I may have had a cylinder mixup in my head! So looking at the motor, is #1 on the left at the front towards the fan? Please say yes. I was thinking that one was #4 but now I’m almost certain it’s 1. If so, it is at the top and my timing marks seem to be where they belong.

I might get those old chains off yet[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately you are thinking Chevy the way I grew up! On a Chevy the driver side is 1 3 5 7 from the front to back and the passenger side is 2468 from front to back but on a Ford the the passenger side is 1234 front-to-back and the driver side 5678 front to back.
Not that this will matter to your repair before it also has a different firing order than the most common GM and Dodge 18436572. Then to top it off for Ford 302 they had two different firing orders one for an ho and one for the standard.

Your number one cylinder is on the passenger side all the way up by the radiator.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately you are thinking Chevy the way I grew up! On a Chevy the driver side is 1 3 5 7 from the front to back and the passenger side is 2468 from front to back but on a Ford the the passenger side is 1234 front-to-back and the driver side 5678 front to back.
Not that this will matter to your repair before it also has a different firing order than the most common GM and Dodge 18436572. Then to top it off for Ford 302 they had two different firing orders one for an ho and one for the standard.

Your number one cylinder is on the passenger side all the way up by the radiator.

Excellent! Thank you.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok-need help again! Maybe I did this in the wrong order-I took the 2 primary chains , tensioners and guides off. Now I’m trying to remove the big sprockets that the chains were on. They just want to turn and then the cam sprockets turn as well. How do I hold them still to get them unbolted. I was anxious to get the primary chains off so the cam stayed put. Should I have broken all boots free before taking the primary chains off?

I’m really afraid to move anything out of position[emoji33]

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have an air impact gun right ? They're not torqued all that tight. A simple blip of the impact gun on them will easily pop the bolts loose.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have an air impact gun right ? They're not torqued all that tight. A simple blip of the impact gun on them will easily pop the bolts loose.

If I have a big 1/2 “ dewalt cordless impact. That should do it-thanks

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the rest of the timing stuff off and finally got that wretched oil pump bolt out. I was starting to think it would be easier to drop the oil pan until I read the directions for that.

Im not sure how I will get that bolt started, but I’ll get it somehow. The bolt was longer than I expected and became more difficult to get at as it threaded out. The only way I could get a good angle on it was to practically stand on my head in the engine bay. It didn’t seem like it would be any easier from underneath.

Now I have a question on the camshafts. The shafts on the side I haven’t put the rockers/roller followers back in yet seem right be in the correct position according to the video I watched. The other side that I never had to disassemble, the cam shafts seem to be a bit off. Do I have to take the roller followers off of that side and line up the cams?
1f1df87eb72191b1e3902d2ff9c04437.jpg
254e94e8aa8be2cd094484006c3f4276.jpg
950e79344c087ff096850258d2823dd9.jpg
93dc3720ef52224a46c1d7de861b9524.jpg