Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No distortion or damage to the tube. I just had a thought-I may try to put a string around the tube so I can ease it forward a tiny bit. It looks like the tube is making a slight rub mark (on the hole in the pump) just behind where it needs to go. It can’t hurt-right?

Another thing-nothing is ever easy, is it?!! I do not see any spot on the cams to put a crescent wrench. They are round everywhere. Would it hurt anything if I wrapped a rag on the camshaft in the middle (between the cam plates and definitely not on a lobe) and tried to gently get it to turn with a small pipe wrench?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn’t notice any. I will take a closer look tomorrow.

I conquered the oil pump!! Even though it seemed like it was in place, it wasn’t quite there. Today it finally decided to fall fully into place and the tube did as well. I held the impossible bolt with a strand of thin wire to get it into place and get it started. I’m happy that fight is over!

Now onto my next dilemma-the cams that are a bit off that I posted a pic of earlier. I tried turning one of the shafts. With the roller followers still on that side, the shaft rolled too far from where I wanted it. I tried rolling it around further thinking maybe it would eventually end up there. I was only able to roll it 2 times (not all the way around, just where it rolled to from the roller followers after I moved it a little), then it bound up. I rolled it back where it was when I started. What gives and what do I do??

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
Could the "binding" be valve touching piston? My thinking is if you're turning only the cam, and not the crank, things are liable to "touch" each other.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loosen the oil pump retaining bolts so you have some movement in the oil pump and that should give you some flexibility with the pipe. You should see a hex spot at the middle of the camshafts where you can put a big crescent wrench on to turn the cams that little bit to put 'em in the right spot.

Oil pump conquered now I’m not sure what to do about the camshafts that aren’t quite in the right spot. I suspect they rolled a little after I released the hold the small chain and tensioner had on them. Am I going to have to put the new small chain and tensioner on them and then try to put them in the right place? Or-am I going to have to take all the roller followers off to get them in place? They are at about 5:00 when they should be at 6:00.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could the "binding" be valve touching piston? My thinking is if you're turning only the cam, and not the crank, things are liable to "touch" each other.

That’s what I assume it was-that’s why I just put it back where it was. Everything was where it should have been until I took the chains off. The side that isn’t apart (roller followers still on) must have rolled a little when I took off the small chain and tensioner on the camshafts.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, at least remove the rockers where the cam lobes are pointing downward wanting to open the valves. Always safer when in doubt.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Fordgirl01 How is everything going so far? I'm doing a timing and head gasket job on my 01 4.6l. I have everything off except for the heads. I think I'm going to remove the exhaust manifold from the heads after taking them out. Hopefully I'll have enough wiggle room to do this. That way it's much easier for me to remove those rusty studs.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Fordgirl01 How is everything going so far? I'm doing a timing and head gasket job on my 01 4.6l. I have everything off except for the heads. I think I'm going to remove the exhaust manifold from the heads after taking them out. Hopefully I'll have enough wiggle room to do this. That way it's much easier for me to remove those rusty studs.
I just had quite a scare! I updated my Tapatalk app and lost all of my discussions about this project. I’m not sure what is going on with the app, but I finally found this thread again on the website.
So, I have an issue! I went out today to get the right side camshafts back in place. I totally forgot I had the camshaft position holding tool when I took the secondary chain off so it slipped out of position from the tension on it. I put the old chain and gears back on, put the holding tool on, then moved it into the correct position with a small pipe wrench right next to the holding tool, then tightened the holding tool. It stayed in place.
Now I have hit a snafu! I put the new tensioner, chain and gears back on. The chain is only about halfway on the tensioner (right side). The new parts are the same as the old (I checked) and the other side (left side) went perfectly. I stared at it for quite some time and can’t figure out what is amiss! The old chain and gears sit same way (it’s the old parts in the pics). What the heck am I missing? It has to be something stupid!

Attachments

• 770F875A-1F32-4C78-8508-A376ECB23AFD.jpeg
    770F875A-1F32-4C78-8508-A376ECB23AFD.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 57FF2079-53D1-42A0-A469-E07A9DC393C1.jpeg
    57FF2079-53D1-42A0-A469-E07A9DC393C1.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the exhaust manifold out still attached to my head without too much trouble.