Concerns buying an Expedition with a Canadian VIN?

Is a Canadian VIN a deal-breaker?

• No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff G

Reaction score
If you are going to register it in CA or NY, you could potentially have an emissions issue.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to register it in CA or NY, you could potentially have an emissions issue.

In NY once the vehicle is older than 3 years you can buy it and be ok. At that point if it’s a non carb compliant vin it just needs to meet Federal standards to pass NY emissions and get a sticker. I believe my ‘07 originated in Indiana and I’ve never had an issue.

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
Was this just assembled in Canada or set up to be sold in Canada? I've had vehicles assembled in Canada and Mexico that were made for sale in the US and they are identical to ones assembled in the US except for the first digit on the VIN.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

We bought our Mazda new in NC and had a hell of a time registering it in PA due to emissions. The DMV told me to "return it." I replied: "It isn't Walmart. I can't just return it!" I ended up calling my state rep and his assistant gave me a hypothetical situation in which a car purchased in NC could be registered in PA under a loophole in the law. Whew!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We bought our Mazda new in NC and had a hell of a time registering it in PA due to emissions. The DMV told me to "return it." I replied: "It isn't Walmart. I can't just return it!" I ended up calling my state rep and his assistant gave me a hypothetical situation in which a car purchased in NC could be registered in PA under a loophole in the law. Whew!

Yep they don’t want new sales with non compliant emissions. That is a whole other can of worms. If PA is like NY they release that restriction once the vehicles are 3 years of age or older so you can purchase used out of state pretty easily however, just not new.

Jeff Morris

Reaction score
I have purchased 2 Fords imported in from Canada. Did a bunch of research on my wife's 2015 Flex back in 2016, warranty, extended warranty, insurance ,emissions in Illinois no issues at all. In 2018 bought my 17 Expy also imported from Canada also no issues. Be sure inside of drivers door is a tag from the importer and U.S. Govt. certifying it for use in the U.S.. The importer is also responsible for replacing the speedo to U.S. standards as part of the deal. There is an odometer certification with the paper work stating a new speedometer was installed and the mileage on the odometer matches the actual mileage when it was replaced and is certified. Another plus I noticed the asking price from dealers anyway is generally $1000-$1500 less than a comparable used U.S. vehicle. The dealers do better at buying these at auction in Canada and offset the price in the U.S. to help market the stigmatism of it being a Canadian vehicle. And yes my imported Canadian vehicles both are programmed for DRL's on. :)

turtle019

Reaction score
Might have a few different options vs what was sold in the States. All the Expeditions roll off the same line in Kentucky.
Like Jeff said the speedo should be swapped to MPH during the import process, but this doesn't always mean a new gauge cluster. Sometimes they just replace the silkscreen in the dial
I've had no issues with getting warranty work completed either on my formerly Canadian 3rd gen
Carfax likely won't have as much information about it. Just do your standard used car due diligence (clear title, pre-purchase inspection, etc) and you'll be fine

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is interesting to hear that Ford is still honoring the warranty. I looked into this when shopping for my Audi. VW won't honor the warranty here in the states if it is registered here. I guess they have had more issues with people buying new in Canada and bringing them down. That or the price savings are less? Who knows...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360