Confused about front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CNK479

Reaction score
Hi guys I currently own a 1999 Ford Ranger 4X4 but was recently thinking about moving to an explorer 4X4 and then the thought occurred to me what about the Expedition, I had 2001 Super crew and really liked it, I have been doing some research but one thing I can't seem to get a definitive answer to is what kind of front suspension does the Expedition use I have seen what looks like torsion bars and read about air bags and even seen some schematics showing coil springs. Can someone clear these muddy waters? Thanks. I know what I might be getting into with the 5.4 but the Expedition size and capabilities for a daily driver and a weekend overland type rig seems just right.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The first generation trucks )1997 - 2002) have torsion bars, and the third generation (2007 - 2017) have coils, like F-150's. Air bags were an option. I'm sure someone can tell you more. Welcome, by the way.

OP
OP
C

CNK479

Reaction score
Thanks. but I have seen a few videos where it seems like the air bag models also have a torsion bar. so is torsion bar or air bags or is torsion bar and air bags?

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Eddy Bauer 4 x 4 that was ordered with airbags in the back and air shocks in the front but I also have a torsion bar. In 2005 I did the conversion kit took the air shocks off took the airbags out of the back went standard all the way around and put coil overs in the front to replace their shocks so that should clear up some of your questions.

captain chaos

Reaction score
Thanks. but I have seen a few videos where it seems like the air bag models also have a torsion bar. so is torsion bar or air bags or is torsion bar and air bags?
The air-ride models have a light duty torsion bar that supports SOME of the weight, but not enough on its own. That's why a lot of the conversion kits to get rid of the air suspension come with a coilover front shock. Otherwise, the front will sag quite a bit by removing the air suspension.

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I remember was the 4 x 4's had torsion bars and the 2 wd had coil springs. The 4 x 4 could have air ride or not.