Confused on Axle Ratios and Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nj5008

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a '15-'17 Expedition, but having a hard time finding reliable information. In an ideal world, I'd love to find a 3.31 or 3.73 with 15,200 GCWR to get the models max towing capacity (9,200 lbs).

The '16 4x4 I am looking at has the HD Trailer Tow Package, but the sticker on the door indicates a 3.15 Axle with max payload of 1,389lbs.
A VIN Decoder on this vehicle indicates a 3.31 Axle, max payload of 1,620 lbs, with a 12,500 GCWR

Which do I believe? The sticker, or the VIN Decoder? Although both report different information, both suggest the max towing capacity is 6,600 lbs.

My goal here is to tow a camper that weighs ~5,500 lbs. I currently drive a 2016 Dodge Durango that is supposed to tow 6,200 lbs, and the camper makes my Durango sag enough where I wanted a better towing vehicle. The Durango is properly equipped. Trucks are not an option based on family and pets.

Do I pass on this '16 and continue looking for something else?

Thanks in advance.
-NJ

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For that model year, anything with the limited trim and higher had HD Tow. The door sticker should be accurate, as the VIN doesn't account for certain options. You can also tell it has HD Tow by presence of the trailer brake controller or seven pin connector. I generally recommend an EL for towing, as the longer wheelbase is more stable and will provide more space for belongings even though they'll likely be loaded in the trailer. There just isn't much storage in the short wheelbase if you plan to use the third row.

OP
OP
N

nj5008

Reaction score
For that model year, anything with the limited trim and higher had HD Tow. The door sticker should be accurate, as the VIN doesn't account for certain options. You can also tell it has HD Tow by presence of the trailer brake controller or seven pin connector. I generally recommend an EL for towing, as the longer wheelbase is more stable and will provide more space for belongings even though they'll likely be loaded in the trailer. There just isn't much storage in the short wheelbase if you plan to use the third row.
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I can see that the HD Tow Package is standard (this one I am looking at specifically is a Limited). Aside from the brake controller, I went ahead and purchased the Window Sticker to see what else I could find out on the exact model.
When I originally started looking at Expeditions, I guess I made the mistake of assuming that every model with the HD Tow Package would have the max towing capacity (9,200 lbs). I wasn't aware of the different Axle ratios at play, and varying payloads. EL is an option as well. The short wheelbase is the best deal I'm finding at the moment (Used car market is scary overvalued right now).

I guess here's my underlying question/concern (which maybe I didn't realize until now): Does the community think an Expedition with 6,600 towing capacity and 1,389 lb payload, while being equipped with the HD Tow Package, is enough to tow a 5,500 lb travel trailer? As I describe in my OP, my 2016, properly equipped Durango is rated for 6,200 lbs, but sags with the travel trailer connected. I just want to make sure I'm providing a safe traveling environment for my family when we use the travel trailer on long road trips.

Trying to get this all figured out before Spring when we start trailering again.

Thanks again.
-NJ

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I can see that the HD Tow Package is standard (this one I am looking at specifically is a Limited). Aside from the brake controller, I went ahead and purchased the Window Sticker to see what else I could find out on the exact model.
When I originally started looking at Expeditions, I guess I made the mistake of assuming that every model with the HD Tow Package would have the max towing capacity (9,200 lbs). I wasn't aware of the different Axle ratios at play, and varying payloads. EL is an option as well. The short wheelbase is the best deal I'm finding at the moment (Used car market is scary overvalued right now).

I guess here's my underlying question/concern (which maybe I didn't realize until now): Does the community think an Expedition with 6,600 towing capacity and 1,389 lb payload, while being equipped with the HD Tow Package, is enough to tow a 5,500 lb travel trailer? As I describe in my OP, my 2016, properly equipped Durango is rated for 6,200 lbs, but sags with the travel trailer connected. I just want to make sure I'm providing a safe traveling environment for my family when we use the travel trailer on long road trips.

Trying to get this all figured out before Spring when we start trailering again.

Thanks again.
-NJ

My understanding, based on this 2017 towing guide, is that with the HD tow package (TBC and 7 pole electric are the most evident with a quick look, but it also includes auxiliary trans cooler and maybe a bigger radiator) you’re good for 9200# with a WDH regardless of axle. Hope this helps 99399814-F6E0-46C9-9EEB-DFDCD44B557C.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nj5008

Reaction score
My understanding, based on this 2017 towing guide, is that with the HD tow package (TBC and 7 pole electric are the most evident with a quick look, but it also includes auxiliary trans cooler and maybe a bigger radiator) you’re good for 9200# with a WDH regardless of axle. Hope this helps View attachment 72178
Thanks for the input. I was under the same understanding as you map out, but started to question myself as I did more research. Would be interested in hearing other people’s opinions on this as well.

I do have a WDH that I use with the Durango. The Durango pulls great, I’ve never questioned the power. it just sags more than I’d like.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of the different Axle ratios at play, and varying payloads. EL is an option as well. The short wheelbase is the best deal I'm finding at the moment (Used car market is scary overvalued right now).

I guess here's my underlying question/concern (which maybe I didn't realize until now): Does the community think an Expedition with 6,600 towing capacity and 1,389 lb payload, while being equipped with the HD Tow Package, is enough to tow a 5,500 lb travel trailer? As I describe in my OP, my 2016, properly equipped Durango is rated for 6,200 lbs, but sags with the travel trailer connected.

The HD Tow packages will all be 3.31 or 3.73, depending on 4x2 or 4x4. Either is fine for towing. I tow 7K with the 3.31 and have no issues keeping up with traffic.

I wouldn't go any higher than a Limited for payload reasons. A sunroof also takes a chunk out of the payload. I can't answer your question as to how much payload is enough because I don't know how you'll be loaded up, and I don't know if your weight is wet or dry. But assume that 10%—or conservatively, 13%—of the camper weight, as well as the hitch weight, should be subtracted from the payload.

If your weights are configured correctly (tongue, payload, and axle) don't worry about the sag. The Expedition doesn't require a weight distribution hitch (WDH) unless over 6,600 lbs, but you should use one anyway because they frequently incorporate anti-sway as well, which you'll definitely want with a large camper. The WDH will take care of the sag.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think some of the confusion is due to the "when properly equipped" wording, which basically means "when using a weight distributing hitch." So to get the 9200lb towing capacity you will need both HD tow package + a weight distributing hitch for the trailer. The axle ratio does not change towing capacity. I have HD tow with 3.31 gears and it works just fine, I haven't found myself wanting more gearing.

Regardless I would definitely recommend the HD tow package if you're going to pull any sort of travel trailer since the weight is only part of the equation. The other, probably more important aspect, is the frontal area of the trailer, 60sqft for HD tow vs 36sqft: See pages 15 and 28 - https://www.fleet.ford.com/cmslibs/...eet/towing-guides/Ford_Linc_17RVTTowGuide.pdf

OP
OP
N

nj5008

Reaction score
I think some of the confusion is due to the "when properly equipped" wording, which basically means "when using a weight distributing hitch." So to get the 9200lb towing capacity you will need both HD tow package + a weight distributing hitch for the trailer. The axle ratio does not change towing capacity. I have HD tow with 3.31 gears and it works just fine, I haven't found myself wanting more gearing.

Regardless I would definitely recommend the HD tow package if you're going to pull any sort of travel trailer since the weight is only part of the equation. The other, probably more important aspect, is the frontal area of the trailer, 60sqft for HD tow vs 36sqft: See pages 15 and 28 - https://www.fleet.ford.com/cmslibs/...eet/towing-guides/Ford_Linc_17RVTTowGuide.pdf
Does a WDH increase the payload at all, or does it not work like that?

What’s throwing me off is that the Expedition I’m looking at shows a sticker with 1,389 lbs max payload. That seems low for something that has all the bells and whistles that come with the HD tow package.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What’s throwing me off is that the Expedition I’m looking at shows a sticker with 1,389 lbs max payload. That seems low for something that has all the bells and whistles that come with the HD tow package.

No, both a WDH + HD tow package is required to get the 9200lb towing rating. Without either HD tow or a WDH (or both), it's limited to 6600 lbs.

The payload is static and depends on vehicle options. It comes into play for the tongue weight, so payload rating - tongue weight = amount of people and cargo you can carry.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Bells and whistles = more weight and less payload. My EL Limited is at 1474.