Confused on Axle Ratios and Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
You will get some sag in the rear depending on camper tongue weight. The short wheelbase tends to sway a little with a heavy trailer. I replaces the dinky 1/2" rear sway bar with a 1-1/4" bar. Made a world of difference! I have a 7900 pound camper and the 9200 pound rating. 4x4, 3.73 axle). So when fully loaded I'm right at max tow rating. I don't boondock, so not carrying water, generator, etc. I say around 3-4". I'm going to install Sumo spring inserts, have them, haven't got around to installing yet. Not really necessary, but will help a little. I don't try to keep up with traffic. I tow between 60 and 65 mph... that's enough with a big camper! Gas mileage goes down to about 9-10 mpg at those speeds, faster will just mean less. Can't keep that speed up in the mountains, but it doesn't struggle. Don't go in the mountains much anyway.

Njstout85

Reaction score
Hey guys new here but I have a 2019 Expedition limited. Mine has 7 pin round hook up, but no integrated brake controller, and according to Vin decoder a 3.31 final drive ratio. It's 4x4 what is my towing capacity? 6000, 6600? I have a Anderson wdh. I'm looking to buy a TT that is 5800 dry, can I pull it?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Pages 291-291 of the 2019 Expedition owners manual indicate that you only have 6000 pounds maximum towing capacity since you lack the HD towing package. Axle ratio doesn't matter. WDH doesn't matter in this case.

Not sure what's in the 2019 HD towing package or if you can retrofit it as it may be as much electronic as simple things like larger engine and transmission radiators. 2019 HD tow has 3.73 axles.

"Dry weight" is fiction. Trailer is heaver than that when it leaves the factory. Find the GVWR for this trailer and use it for a planning number as it's sometimes difficult to keep it this light.

(For those reading along always get HD tow even if you think you'll never need it. Overkill always works.)

The Limited used to (past tense) all have HD Tow which had 3.73 axles some years but not all. My 2007 HD Tow had 3.73, my 2017 HD Tow has 3.31 and both tow 9000ish pounds with a WDH.

-- Chuck

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the 2018 brochure, the content below is in the 2018 w/ HD Tow:

Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package: heavy-duty radiator, Pro Trailer Backup Assist,™ 3.73 electronic limited-slip rear differential (eLSD), integrated trailer brake controller, and 2-speed automatic 4WD (4x4 only) with Neutral towing capability

Some have said the springs are different, but I don't know. You would have to check Ford parts to confirm. My 2017 4x2 w/ HD Tow has 3.31 gears and 9K limit. The cooling upgrade is highly desirable because a camper is basically a parachute behind the rig.