Confused re Mercon, Mercon LV, XL12

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes ford changed it to lv in all transfer cases. I’ve been running it in mine for three years now. It’s especially good for the electronic controlled cases with the AWD clutch packs.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don’t touch LV if you have a 2007 or 2008. You can only use Mercon SP in the transmission and Mercon in tcase. SP is a special fluid you can only get from Ford too.

Last edited:

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just don’t touch LV if you have a 2007 or 2008. You can only use Mercon SP in the transmission and then Mercon V for transfer case. SP is a special fluid you can only get from Ford too.
Ok…so I’m also confused. I did my rear diff today. I was going to do the transfer case. The manual calls for ‘Motorcraft Mercon ATF’. I went to auto parts store…and they claimed Mercon LV was what I needed. I’m not going to use it unless I know 100% it’s correct.
(2007 Limited 4x4).

So…is LV acceptable to use, or do I need to go to Ford and get Mercon ATF?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just get the general Mercon transmission fluid from another brand like valvoline. The T-case isn’t too picky and the manual calls for old fashioned Mercon. LV has been problematic where other fluids were called for.

Last edited:

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I stopped by Ford yesterday to see if I could get a straight answer. Apparently the auto parts stores telling me LV is the replacement is wrong for my 2007. They said Mercon V (as JExpedition said) was correct fluid.
It was relatively easy to change the fluid. The hardest part was using a funnel to get the new fluid in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360