considerring purchasing 2023 model - can a USB drive be used to play music, especially 12 speaker B&O?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzav

Reaction score
considerring purchasing 2023 model - can a USB drive be used to play music, especially 12 speaker B&O?

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@bzav , I tested this yesterday in my 2022 with B&O Unleashed system - worked fine. Used a 32GB flash drive with well over one thousand .mp3 songs on it for the test. Took much less than a minute to index everything, then started playing. You can search by song, artist, group, album, genre, etc.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tested this yesterday in my 2022 with B&O Unleashed system - worked fine. Used a 32GB flash drive with well over one thousand .mp3 songs on it for the test. Took much less than a minute to index everything, then started playing. You can search by song, artist, group, album, genre, etc.
Update on this for anyone thinking about setting up a flash drive: Completely infuriating to me, but the way Ford set up the player screen and lawyer protections - ALL search/ scroll/ etc functions are buried under one 'search' button that gets disabled when you are in motion. You only have access to play/ pause, rewind, fast forward, shuffle, and 3 versions of repeat. This means that if you have your songs saved into album folders, you have no way to get out of that album you started playing until the vehicle comes to a stop. This makes the player useless for a road trip.

I'll do some more playing around, but I assume the workaround here is to put your music library into one folder. That would take me a bunch of time reorganizing files - disappointing. I get it about the lawyer protections, but I would think they could allow you basic search/ scroll functions and don't offer a keypad when in motion. Heck, we get to select radio stations!

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree - I was playing with Android Auto to get some applications on the Expy screen. There are a list of apps on the phone that look like they should work, but I cannot get them to migrate over to the 15” Sync4. Although the navigation does work - the other day I got in after looking up the destination I wanted to go to on my phone and it started navigating me there. Spooky when you don’t expect it.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they anticipated most people using android auto or CarPlay. Thumb drives for songs is getting up there with CDs. Not to say some people don’t use it. But it’s becoming more rare.

XeBeast

Reaction score
Does the voice search command work with the usb?