Converting Rotary Shift to Column Shifter 19 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordExplosion

Reaction score
As the title States I want to convert my 2019 Expedition XLT with the stupid rotary dial shifter to a steering column shift. I absolutely HATE the rotary shifter. The SSV model has the column shift. Dealership less than helpful about wanting to convert it. Any help is appreciated!

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the rotary dial the shifting is all done electronically meaning there is no linkage between it and the transmission. Where as the column shifter has a cable from it to the side of the transmission. So if you won’t to change it your talking about getting new parts for the center console to replace where the rotary dial was. Then you will need to get new steering column panels and possibly a new steering column so that the shifter can bolt to it. You will also need a new instrument cluster because that is where the PRNDL will be located now. Even if you can do all that now you have to see how the new cable will connect to the trans. For that you might need to drop that pan and add some parts and if thats the case the valve body will have to be removed. Then you’ll have to get the program removed for the rotary dial. I only say this because if you open the door while in drive but not moving the rotary dial will put the vehicle into park.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As 00XLT states, it's gonna be a large job. If you want to undertake the labor, look in a junkyard for a wrecked SSV for all the parts. That would make it quite affordable.

They're bounced off trees and into junk yards all the time.

os1kne

Reaction score
I agree with you, and the others. I don't like the rotary dial gear selectors, but converting is going to be big job - and it will probably be very challenging to execute well.