coolant cross over leak. Would you change the water pump while you're at it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryB

Reaction score
So, I have a 2010 Limited. The 5.4 engine was replaced with a Jasper before I bought it. It's begun leaking at the driver's side coolant crossover. For some reason, the coolant reservoir is full, but it's draining the radiator. I noticed it when my heater started gurgling. The new engine has approx 40k on it. (warranty never transferred to me). I plan to tear into it next weekend. I also have a passenger-side valve cover leak. I plan to pull the intake and swap all the gaskets, then pull the valve covers, check the roller followers/cam wear, and replace the valve cover gaskets. Also, clean the throttle body while it's in my hand. Would you swap the water pump while you're at it?

I really have no way of telling if the shop swapped in a new water pump when they put the engine in. The vehicle has 197k on the odometer.

What else should I be looking at? I've already done the "normal" stuff to it. Plugs, Coil packs, etc. Thanks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I have a 2010 Limited. The 5.4 engine was replaced with a Jasper before I bought it. It's begun leaking at the driver's side coolant crossover. For some reason, the coolant reservoir is full, but it's draining the radiator. I noticed it when my heater started gurgling. The new engine has approx 40k on it. (warranty never transferred to me). I plan to tear into it next weekend. I also have a passenger-side valve cover leak. I plan to pull the intake and swap all the gaskets, then pull the valve covers, check the roller followers/cam wear, and replace the valve cover gaskets. Also, clean the throttle body while it's in my hand. Would you swap the water pump while you're at it?

I really have no way of telling if the shop swapped in a new water pump when they put the engine in. The vehicle has 197k on the odometer.

What else should I be looking at? I've already done the "normal" stuff to it. Plugs, Coil packs, etc. Thanks.

A new Motorcraft water pump is inexpensive. With the work that you plan to do, I would replace it.