Coolant Flush? The easy way please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

espritv8

Reaction score
Hi Group,

I've researching the subject and so far I've came across a bunch of time consuming and not very practical ways to do a coolant flush.
All I've seen involves running the truck to operating temperature while you're emptying and refilling the radiator. I tried this yesterday and it was incredibly time consuming and I don't think you effectively manage to get rid of all the old coolant and contaminants.

Is there an easier way to flush? Like pumping the new coolant directly inside the engine from the heater hoses? Maybe removing by the thermostat?

I have an 2010 Lincoln Navigator L with rear aux. heater and the 5.4 engine.

Thanks

OP
OP
E

espritv8

Reaction score
Not really any shortcuts to do it right other than paying someone else to do it for you.

Yeah saw that video but I don't have a degas bottle on mine, it's only an overflow reservoir. So not sure it applies the same way.

KOTU

Reaction score
Having an '07 Navigator L myself, the only tips that I would suggest is to put a 3/8" i.d. hose onto the radiator's petcock to keep the coolant from spattering all over and or using your shop vac to pull the coolant out of the heater core and engine through the thermostat housing. I recently had my 5.4L 3V apart for the timing work. Along with the timing components, I also replaced the water pump, thermostat, oil pump, alternator, and serpentine belt.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've had the tee in the Prestone kits tend to split over time, exploding under the hood and losing all your coolant on the road. Don't know if they still do that; it was common years ago.

I suppose you could use the kit then replace the tee with a nipple for safety.

I've been told that the Harbor Frieght tool, like most of their tools works "sometimes" if you fight with it.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I simply devote a nice spring afternoon to the job and try to enjoy it. Never found a shortcut. I usually replace the thermostat while I'm at it and that lets me flush everything with a hose.