Coolant flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When should the coolant be flushed and replaced? I just had my transmission done on my 05 and they tried to sell me a coolant flush for $89 saying coolant needs to be replaced at 50,000 miles or 5 years. I don't have the manual but does this sound right? Whether it's neede or not, the price seemed high to me though.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is coolant now a days? Apparently, you're supposed to change it out every so often since older coolant starts to become acidic, and starts to eat away at your radiator, engine, water pump, etc. If you stick you stick a voltmeter lead in the coolant, and the other touching ground, it'll give you a small voltage. I forget how much was "acceptable" but it should be very close to zero.

Either way here's some specs:

4.6L 19.0 L (20.1 quarts)
4.6L — with aux. rear heat 21.0 L (22.2 quarts)
5.4L 21.0 L (22.2 quarts)
5.4L — with aux. rear heat 23.0 L (24.3 quarts)

For the 5.4 3V
Base radiator without aux. rear heat 18.4 L (19.4 quarts)
Base radiator with aux. rear heat 19.6 L (20.7 quarts)
Heavy duty trailer tow radiator without aux. rear heat 18.6 L (19.7 quarts)
Heavy duty trailer tow radiator with aux. rear heat 19.8 L (20.9 quarts)

--------------------------------------------------

You can drain the radiator yourself. On the bottom, there is a draincock that you open. Granted, doing it this way one lets you get out a little less than 80% of the total coolant (per the service manual).

Here's how to fill the coolant back up (per the service manual):

1. Fill the radiator through the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks.

2. On the electronic manual temperature control (EMTC), move the temperature blend selector to the full WARM position. On the electronic automatic temperature control (EATC), set the temperature to 32°C (90°F).

3. Run the engine at idle until it reaches normal operating temperature.

4. Add the correct coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is at the upper "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" mark.

5. Turn the engine off and allow it to cool.

6. Repeat Steps 1 through 5 until the degas bottle level is correct, with the engine cool.

7. CAUTION: If the air discharge remains cool and the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.

Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at the A/C vents.

8. Start the engine and allow it to idle until it reaches normal operating temperature. While the engine is idling, feel for hot air from the A/C vents.
Hot air should discharge from the A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range and the upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.​

9. Shut the engine off and allow it to cool.

10. Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle and fill it as necessary.

11. Repeat Steps 7 through 10 as necessary.

12. Check the cooling system for leaks.

13. Install the pressure relief cap to the degas bottle.

OP
OP
E

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow it holds 5 gallons of coolant! I had better check the price of that stuff first. Mine if a yellow gold color, I'm sure Ford has their own coolant as well.

Thanks for the info!

A3Middie

Reaction score
I just did mine a couple weeks ago, not bad. I have an 02 w/ 5.4 and rear heat. I used Zerex brand that is the Ford gold replacement. I would suggest also opening the block drains as well, I had some nasty stuff come out of the block.

OP
OP
E

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought I would share this experience. Since I have a long towing/camping trip to the Grand Canyon coming up quick I opted to have the coolant flushed.

The shop I went to had a device that was 2 large clear cylinders one for new coolant and one for the old. They start by filling the new coolant cylinder with 21 quarts (I was amazed that the system holds 21 quarts), then they suck out all 21 quarts, while the engine is running with the heater on, into the used coolant cylinder while they instantly refill system with the new coolant. Whole process took about 10 minutes of my time and cost $69.

I thought the price was high until I checked on the price of coolant which is about $11 a gallon for the Ford Gold compatable stuff. Since it's a complete flush of the system you are getting all new coolant and a new radiator cap. The stuff that came out was 5 years old and 47,000 miles on it and it was brownish in color compared to the new stuff.

ksoren1779

Reaction score
Eric

Did you ever find the location of the block drains. I have a 98 Expedition XLT 4.6 and would like to get a better drain of coolant system.

Kevin

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i did mine in high school. my mom was out of town and i figured i would drain mine. i had some coolant laying around un opened so i did it. idiot teacher let it drain into the tank we have under ground but what ever not my problem his tank i put it in had a hole. haha but any ways he told me to not to undo the block plug. only cause my truck is super rusted. he said i could possibly not be able to get it back in or other stuff could happen. so who knows. i need to redo it though cause the coolant was old. what do people do with their old coolant? mine went into a underground tank. haha

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i take mine to shucks o'reiley... with my old oil they take it for free...my understanding of the coolant is the long life stuff.. (yellow, ornge, red, purple) need to be done every 150,000 miles or 5 years the green stuff needs to be done every 2 years or 50,000 miles as it is not long life and becomes acidic and also causes cavitation in the motor (not good)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01