Coolant leaking from under back seats?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Ryan

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've had this coolant leak the last few days. It's falling to the ground under the 2nd row seats(I know it could be actually leaking somewhere further up). Just curious if any coolant lines run this far back in the truck? I honestly thought I left a coolant jug in the back and crushed it by accident. I work out of it and it's always filled to the brim with tools. But as I'm cleaning it out for the holiday weekend, I can find no coolant jug, and my carpets are dry. Just checked coolant res and it's VERY low. Actually my next stop will be to AutoZone for more coolant. Any insite or input would be highly appreciated. I did search, didnt find any post concerning coolant leaks this far back. Again thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• PXL_20220702_231021496.jpg
    PXL_20220702_231021496.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 7

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've had this coolant leak the last few days. It's falling to the ground under the 2nd row seats(I know it could be actually leaking somewhere further up). Just curious if any coolant lines run this far back in the truck? I honestly thought I left a coolant jug in the back and crushed it by accident. I work out of it and it's always filled to the brim with tools. But as I'm cleaning it out for the holiday weekend, I can find no coolant jug, and my carpets are dry. Just checked coolant res and it's VERY low. Actually my next stop will be to AutoZone for more coolant. Any insite or input would be highly appreciated. I did search, didnt find any post concerning coolant leaks this far back. Again thanks in advance for any help.
If you have rear heat/AC, there are coolant lines running to the rear heater core. I would imagine a leak somewhere along there.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two lines running along the frame all the way back to the rear quarter panel heater core. You'll just have to climb under there and look in that area. You can cut and splice as needed. Should be 5/8' line.

OP
OP
Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do have rear AC/heat. Didn't realize I had a 2nd heater core in the back. Greatly appreciate your help. Ill be under there tomorrow hopefully fixing it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Common leak in the Explorers. I presume the Expeditions fail here too. There are aluminum lines crimped to rubber hose. Also the rear heater core and evaporator has a pan that drains out if it should leak.

67Bugman

Reaction score
I just developed the same leak on my 2001 Expedition. Can see the leak coming from a pinhole in one of the aluminum lines near the passenger rear spring. Looks to be about a 5/8” line and it right at one of the clamps that secure the 4 lines to the truck. I am going to do a temporary fix for now but does anyone have a part number for these lines so I can fix it correctly. It appears to be the “Rear Heater Inlet Line.”