Could This Be the Cause of My 4WD Not Operating??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm back. Unfortunately. I apologize for having to ask more questions about my 4WD system not functioning properly. I really wished I didn't have to ask any more questions at all, but I suppose this is the things that happen when you have a 14 year old vehicle with 110K on it.

OK, some may recall the thread I started maybe a month ago where I asked about what could be causing my 4WD system NOT operating as it should and not even turning ON when I turn the selector to the 3 different modes. NONE of them work and NO indications illuminate on the instrument panel in the 1 o'clock position on the dash, to the RIGHT of the speedo, I think is where it's at.

In that thread it was thought that the cause was a bad fuse, names fuse #115, a 30 Amp fuse that controlled the 4WD transfer case, I think.
I got my manual out and checked every single fuse that had anything remotely to do with the 4WD or the Transmission. I visually checked them, put an ohm-meter on them and as a 3rd check, I would take a fuse of same amperage and swap it with the main ones that were suspected as being bad. The problem is still there. The 4WD system still doesn't turn on and the transmission doesn't shift into any different modes at all.

OK, now I think there might be something else going on that COULD be the cause of it. I don't have a clue on this stuff though and need you guys to give me the benefit of your years of experience dealing with these things.

As you might recall, my Sister was in a minor accident where she hit another car as she changed lanes. The right front fender was caved in, but that was the extent of the body damage. My running board on the passenger side was also bent down a bit. I bent it back up and into place and bought a USED fender with matching paint and put it on. It looks great now.

What I have been noticing the last week or 10 days is that when I turn, go over a speed bump, pull into an incline of some sort to get into a parking lot or something like that, basically put any kind of stress on the undercarriage other than normal driving straight, I will hear some sort of POPPING. I can't tell if it's on the passenger side, where the impact was, the drivers side, or both. It's not loud, but its noticeable. On occasion I can feel it slightly thru the steering wheel. I also notice that it needs aligned. The steering wheel slightly rides to the right. Not bad, but it is there.

As for the popping, that's the best way I can describe what I am hearing and feeling. It's a slight popping that will pop several times as I turn sharply or as I drive up onto a driveway or off of a driveway and back out onto the road.

Now I cannot notice any degradation of driving ability. Other than the noise and the slight alignment problem, it drives fine. If I blocked your ears where you wouldn't be able to hear anything, you'd not know there was any problem with the undercarriage, CV joints, transmission, or whatever is in those areas that could be broken or in need of replacement.

Could this "popping" be causing my 4WD not operating? What does it sound like to you? What "could" it be that's making that noise without effecting driving performance to any degree that's noticeable?

At some point this week I am going to attempt another first for me, replacing the front brake pads. I'm actually looking forward to trying it and actually getting it to work right, if I am able to pull it off. I've NEVER done anything like this before.
This noise I am talking about surely couldn't be caused by very worn brake pads....could it?

Guys and gals, I apologize for asking dumb questions, but this is my level of knowledge on vehicles. I've never worked on them, ever, aside from the very basic stuff like changing a tire, changing the oil, servicing the AC, air filter, that kind of stuff. I wish I didn't have to ask you all these things. I really appreciate you all taking time to help me out with these problems. I can't describe to you how awesome it would be if I were to be able to get these things fixed thru you all guiding me the whole way on what to do.

Here's my planned work for the next month.....

1. Brake Pad replacement in front
2. Door Lock Actuator in front passenger door. If I can get it to work right, then do the same to the Drivers door.
3. Change plugs and Ignition Coils on ALL 8 cylinders. This one scares me.
4. Change oil.

That's about all that needs to be done, other than the 4WD issue this post is about.

Lastly, as I am replacing the brake pads on the front, is there a way I can check tings to determine if something is broken and needing replaced? Can you tell me what I could look for, how to tell if it's bad and so forth? While I have both front tires OFF, naturally.
Maybe you all could tell me how to check and maybe find the cause of the "popping" cause I don't have a way to get it up a lift unless I pay a garage to do it, which I will do if I have to.
I am thinking of taking it to FORD as asking them to give me an estimate based on it was caused by a wreck and seeing how much they'd charge me for the estimate to get it taken care of.

Any help or advice you all can give me would very much be appreciated.

Thank you all again very much for helping me as much as you all have already. I wished I wasn't taking up so much of your time so you could help other people.

Have a great week everyone.

Larry

Want3d

Reaction score
I had a popping noise from mine and it wound up being a wheel bearing.

Want3d

Reaction score
As far as the 4wd . silly question is the knob plugged in? I had my dash apart for radio install and forgot to plug it in . Found out when i went wheeling that night. Woke allot of people having to high rev with open exhaust. Lol.

Good luck. And keep us posted

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the transfer case motor? With the key in the run position but the vehicle not started, stick your head under the truck while someone moves the 4x4 switch from 2wd to 4wd, you should hear the transfer case motor clunk as it engages. If not, there is your problem. It's usually held in by 2 bolts and an electrical connector. Grab a replacement from the scrap yard or ebay and replace.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
old thread, his problem was the same as mine way back when, just the 4WD vacuum solenoid and they were fixed up. t-case shift motors are dead silent on these trucks.