Could use some advice on rear axle and WD hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmandaWaymire

Reaction score
Just bought a new Forest River Wildwood XLite 28VBXL trailer, and a new 2021 Expedition Max with HD towing package.

RV dealer sold us (and installed for us) a Camco EZ-lift R6 weight distribution hitch (rated for tongue weight of 1000 lbs.).

We took trailer to CAT scales and weighed the Expedition alone, and the entire setup with AND without the WD hitch engaged:

Expedition:
Steer Axle: 3160
Drive Axle: 3220
Gross: 6380

With trailer (NO WD):
Steer Axle: 2720
Drive Axle: 4580

Trailer Axle: 5380
Gross: 12680

With trailer (WD):
Steer Axle: 2820
Drive Axle: 4440

Trailer Axle: 5420
Gross: 12680

As you can see, the WD hitch is only taking 140 lbs off the drive axle, leaving us above the axle's limit. We also installed Sumo springs on the expedition. We measured the sag of the expedition and the hitch manufacturer says it is installed correctly because we only have 1.75" of sag on the rear, but we measured after installing the sumo springs so I'm not sure if that impacted the measurement.

Should we take entire rig back to RV dealer and have them adjust the hitch? We can't make adjustments on it because we don't have the tools necessary to tighten to the correct tension.

Our tongue weight is acceptable, but it is right at 15% of the trailer weight, and I have read that it should be between 10-15%. How do we lessen it? Simply adding more weight or shuffling things around so more weight is in the rear of the trailer? I know we don't want too much, but I am thinking that if we can get it closer to 10% than 15%, that would also take some weight from the Drive axle... right?

I've been so stressed about this because we want to be as safe as possible, both of these vehicles were a big investment and because of our family size we couldn't do a pickup. RV and Ford dealer both assure us we're fine, but we've been running numbers and will feel better once we can get more weight off the rear axle.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two thoughts...First, make it a practice to never believe an RV dealer for anything!...That is not intended to impugn the honesty of the industry, but always verify!..Second, ask your towing and other RV questions at an RV forum...There is one particular forum (IRV2) that is populated with those with outstanding info/feedback...FWIW, I tow an ORV 21RBS with my “shorty” Expy with a 4 way Equilizer and it does outstanding! Good luck!...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6500 lb dry weight sounds more like F-250 diesel territory than V6 Expedition territory for any serious traveling.

StephanSloan

Reaction score
First- Congrats on your new Expedition MAX.
Starting with the correct ball height is useful. If the trailer looks "uphill" to the hitch maybe some more drop in your hitch will help it carry its own weight.
I have a Weigh Safe hitch ( Weigh Safe Trailer Hitches - Towing Peace of Mind (weigh-safe.com)) which I use to determine the tongue weight when the truck and trailer are level. I am curious if that might be useful for you. If you were closer (I'm in Rhode Island) you would be welcome to borrow mine while you get sorted out.
Good Luck
Stephan

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, invest in the tools you need to adjust the hitch yourself. They need to be re-tightened periodically as the fasteners tend to loosen over time. And you are correct that the easy way to change the tongue weight is to move stuff around. Are you planning to add a rear bike rack? For lots of bikes? That will make a big change as they are pretty heavy once loaded and are at the far rear of the trailer.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, I commend you for taking time to visit the scale. Most people never bother and it's definitely something they should do when checking their setup.

Also, I recommend investing in the tools. The trailer is thousands. A few hundred for tools is a worthwhile investment. You'll need them for other things, like adjusting wheel lugs and changing tires. You can get inexpensive tools from Harbor Freight, if you have one nearby.

I'm not familiar with your hitch, but I did see tutorials on YouTube. Read the manual and make sure you understand it. You didn't say whether your trailer is already loaded, but if you have items in the front storage try to move some to the trailer axle. Your hitch likely needs the height and ball angle adjusted, and the brackets on the trailer frame may need to be raised as well. Make sure you invest some time into understanding how everything works. The dealer will not accept responsibility for poor towing performance.

MO311FAN

Reaction score
I had to add spacer washers to our WDH (was installed but not adjusted by RV dealer). Then worked on keeping weight towards back of trailer with a similar sized trailer. We added Sumo springs to the rear as well. Drives wonderfully, but if we want all five of us to go camping I insist my 19yo son drive his Jeep separate (which usually means his sisters ride with him as well). Four people with no gear in the TV is as far as we are willing to push it.