Cracked windshield due to frame flexion 2021 Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hargrove

Reaction score
I found a crack in my windshield. I see no impact point. No place where a rock hit it or a bullet or a blunt instrument. It's about a foot long and it's a clean crack. This Expedition is about 10 months old. 8,000 miles on it. Has anybody had this problem? Also a friend told me sometimes when a vehicle is making a turn the frame of the vehicle will flex or bend causing the windshield to crack. Anybody know anything about that issue and could it apply to my case? Thanks.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found a crack in my windshield. I see no impact point. No place where a rock hit it or a bullet or a blunt instrument. It's about a foot long and it's a clean crack. This Expedition is about 10 months old. 8,000 miles on it. Has anybody had this problem? Also a friend told me sometimes when a vehicle is making a turn the frame of the vehicle will flex or bend causing the windshield to crack. Anybody know anything about that issue and could it apply to my case? Thanks.

I'm 43, but in my experience, it is uncommon, but can certainly happen... It is possible to apply enough torque to a piece of tempered glass that it cracks. Straight cracks across are usually from an impact or thermal condition. It could be there was something applying pressure on the other side where it is glued in and that with a combination of a thermal shock or torque on that area created a condition that results in a crack. Or could be that a ball or something blunt hit it just right and cracked it but didn't leave a mark... Insurance will replace for damage deductible or completely free depending on your policy...shit happens. Don't sweat it, just fix it and move on! [emoji106]

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stress cracks are common with Mazda CX-5s, but I haven't heard of it with the Expedition. You have a 2021 though, so we probably wouldn't know yet how common it is.

Take a ballpoint pen and run it along the crack. If the pen dips/catches at any point, it's not a stress crack.

AftonJay

Reaction score
I don't think it could happen from turning, maybe offroading with some real off camber obstacle or something like that where you end up with one wheel in the air. But if all four tires were on the ground, I doubt it.