Craftsman tool opening new Factory in Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting for you older guys who wrenched on cars. My dad wrenched in his younger years and his Craftsman tools that are made in USA are still around and work like new. Craftsman always undercut snap on overpriced crap and provided a good tool. In recent years all Craftsman’s stuff has been sub-par Chinese stuff. They broke ground and will be producing hand tools in the USA such as sockets, wrenches, ratchets, etc. I love to see manufacturing jobs coming here! Wonder if quality will return as well. Company reps said they are investing in state of the art casting and forging equipment for the U.S facilities that will allow 25% more output than their current factories in China and Taiwan which they say will offset labor costs and keep tools costs in line. Someone needs to dethrone Snap-On and offer competitive quality that doesn’t make the little guys finance small tools.

https://toolguyd.com/craftsman-hand-tools-usa-factory-news-052019/

Last edited:

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The nice thing about Craftsman tools was being able to drive over to Sears and get them replaced.

Two things happened that drove me away from Craftsman tools.

1. the screw drivers and sockets were brittle (wrenches, too, but I only broke a couple open end wrenches over the years, more sockets and screw drivers thought).
2. Sears employees (policy change maybe??) got to be a pain in the ass about replacing them.

The guarantee was "you break'em, we replace'em". Not argue for 20 minutes, have to see the department manager, argue with him, etc. before finally getting the replacement screw driver or socket.

I bought a "cheap" set of ratchets from Harbor Freight and have, to this day, never broken a socket or ratchet. Never broken a wrench from Harbor Freight. Some of that stuff will break pretty quick (cheap electrical tools) but the hand tools have been pretty good for me.

The only place I see Craftsman tools these days is Lowes. I wonder if Lowes will be easier to deal with when it comes to replacing tools than Sears was?

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@coupe11

I never had a problem replacing at Sears. But at this points there are no more Sears stores near me! I must of gotten a good set of sockets. Never broke a one, just stripped a few ratchets, and broken tip screw drivers is all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
In 1973 I bought my first SK (metric) socket set to work on my Suzuki TS-250K Savage. Couple years later bought a bigger 1/2" set to work on my Chevy Van with the 283 engine. Still have both sets in perfect shape as well as many other SK Tools, Estate Sales!

Looks like SK is American Made.

All you need are SK Professional Tools:
  • Premium quality, precision-crafted
  • Made in the U.S.A. with American steel
  • Backed by a lifetime warranty
  • Part of IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC., a family-owned, blue-collar American company
Got a Pittsburgh socket set from my Dad and have broken several items including a breaker bar trying to wrench off a caliper bolt on neighbors car. He said he was so sorry and I said no I'm glad to find out it's weak and breaks. Would rather know now rather than later. Cheap tools are ok to work on lawn mowers and such but tend to break when you really need them IMHO.

Craftsman sucks DD. Ratchets rust out inside. Maybe better now or will be eventually?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'm with SK too. Never let me down. Own every one I bought as a teenager and haven't lost yet is still in my toolbox.

The only way Craftsman will get its name and business back is if all their stuff is made domestically again. I really don't want to search every package to see where each socket's made.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with SK too. Never let me down. Own every one I bought as a teenager and haven't lost yet is still in my toolbox.

The only way Craftsman will get its name and business back is if all their stuff is made domestically again. I really don't want to search every package to see where each socket's made.

I believe Craftsman is owned by Stanley Black and Decker. I do have to give props to them as in the last few years their made in USA initiative has been bringing thousands upon thousands of manufacturing jobs back to the states. About 30-40% of Dewalt power tools are now made domestically up from 0 5 years ago. I recently bought DeWalts Cadillac battery handheld hammer drill. It is made in USA and I payed the premium because of it. They’ve kept their promise and have been continuing to open new manufacturing facilities for their premium tool lines. Of course budget lines like B&D are remaining offshore. I believe Craftsman’s professional oriented lines will be produced domestically so we will likely be able to identify them like the DeWalt. It seems the premium lines are increasingly being produced here to get their names back.

Last edited:

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Lots of parts manufacturers left the US too. Moog comes to mind.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe Craftsman is owned by Stanley Black and Decker. I do have to give props to them as in the last few years their made in USA initiative has been bringing thousands upon thousands of manufacturing jobs back to the states. About 30-40% of Dewalt power tools are now made domestically up from 0 5 years ago. I recently bought DeWalts Cadillac battery handheld hammer drill. It is made in USA and I payed the premium because of it. They’ve kept their promise and have been continuing to open new manufacturing facilities for their premium tool lines. Of course budget lines like B&D are remaining offshore. I believe Craftsman’s professional oriented lines will be produced domestically so we will likely be able to identify them like the DeWalt. It seems the premium lines are increasingly being produced here to get their names back.

Yes they were sold to Stanly Black and Decker about 3 or so years ago.
They SAID they were going to build a 15 or 30 million dollar plant and bring production back to USA.
I stopped buying Craftsman when they went to china as the quality was subpar compared to cheaper tools like Kobalt, Husky, Stanley, Gearwrench, and Tekton and a few others.
Even the finish and polish on the sockets was terrible.
If you see anything made in Taiwan it will be much better quality 95% of the time.

I think Stanley Black and Decker should open stores like Harbor Freight and sell their products (they own Dewalt too) and some other hardware and home or contractor and auto repair items.

They used to have factory outlet and service centers but I think the timing was wrong then.
They didn't have nearly the product line they do now with all the jump packs, chargers, tools, cordless and electric drill and tools, battery lawn equipment, etc.
Add some heaters if they don't have them and auto jacks and jack stands and make it a small to medium store where you can warranty items right there and they will have my business.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Estate sales and online sales. Just need to know what to look for outside the obvious brand names like snap on, Mac tools and other truck brands.

proto and sk come to mind