Crazy bright lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've found it getting more frequent that I think someone has high-beams on and it is absolutely blinding. I usually hold off for quite awhile before flashing mine, and sometimes the oncoming vehicle proves he does NOT have his highs on. Yet, his "lows" are "high", too.

A friend's daughter recently posted on Facebook some humorous post (a meme) about people that flash their lights when you don't have your highbeams on and tagged her boyfriend in the post, indicating this must happen to them.

I replied that her boyfriend ought to have the highbeams aimed properly - as I'm sure he's got a jacked-up pickup.

Her reply is: "No, it's just that he replaced them with LEDs. They're a lot brighter."

I left it there, but my newest vehicle has the brightest factory lights I've had to date on a vehicle but their aim is so spot on, I've never had anyone complain (flash their lights at me).

My guess is if he replaced just the bulb, then the housing it's in is not meant for it and allows to much light to be scattered. I've never messed with modifying headlights.

What say ye?

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they're cheap LEDs they are not going to be focused correctly. I have LEDs in the Explorer I have for work and put a good set of LEDs in the reflector low beam on my Expedition. I have not been flagged for high beams in either on them. The picture is the LED compared to a Sylvania Silverstar.
fa46ec00c8c63a7d85e31e3354d1a22a.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TC16XLT

Reaction score
If they're cheap LEDs they are not going to be focused correctly. I have LEDs in the Explorer I have for work and put a good set of LEDs in the reflector low beam on my Expedition. I have not been flagged for high beams in either on them. The picture is the LED compared to a Sylvania Silverstar.

Which LED are you using? I'm considering them with the amount of deer in MI this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've found it getting more frequent that I think someone has high-beams on and it is absolutely blinding. I usually hold off for quite awhile before flashing mine, and sometimes the oncoming vehicle proves he does NOT have his highs on. Yet, his "lows" are "high", too.

A friend's daughter recently posted on Facebook some humorous post (a meme) about people that flash their lights when you don't have your highbeams on and tagged her boyfriend in the post, indicating this must happen to them.

I replied that her boyfriend ought to have the highbeams aimed properly - as I'm sure he's got a jacked-up pickup.

Her reply is: "No, it's just that he replaced them with LEDs. They're a lot brighter."

I left it there, but my newest vehicle has the brightest factory lights I've had to date on a vehicle but their aim is so spot on, I've never had anyone complain (flash their lights at me).

My guess is if he replaced just the bulb, then the housing it's in is not meant for it and allows to much light to be scattered. I've never messed with modifying headlights.

What say ye?

That's USUALLY an aftermarket-HIDs-in-reflector-housing problem

Can be LEDs too, but really bright LED sets are still somewhat expensive, while obnoxious HIDs are <$30

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I figured, based in part on a comment about lighting I read here earlier. Her answer makes me chuckle. A brighter light shouldn't bother someone as long as it's directed/focused/aimed properly. When the light scatters or is aimed incorrectly, then we have a problem.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which LED are you using? I'm considering them with the amount of deer in MI this time of year.

I got these on Amazon. They've been on the truck since February without a problem.2eabde6024833c648288066b79448c87.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TC16XLT

Reaction score
I got these on Amazon. They've been on the truck since February without a problem.2eabde6024833c648288066b79448c87.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Never saw this brand there before. I'll check them out

Thanks!

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score

You are way too close to the wall to get an accurate representation of how the beam pattern is. Back up 25' amd try again. The only leds ive seen maintain an OEM cutoff has been the diode dynamic SL1 and Morimoto 2 stroke 2.0. I'm curious if these are another good one

Eric B

Reaction score
This is a long video but informative. I just got the Supernova leds bulbs and they are great. Bright but not blinding.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
White light does not help night vision. Street lights are a little orange. Old factory headlights look a bit yellow. Think of watching your LED TV, in a dark room with brightness turned up. I swear people install these 'bright' bulbs, just for the cosmetic appearance. They look cool.