Creaky '11 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone - as the title says I have a creaky 2011 EL.

Every turn around a corner or bump in the road the truck just creaks. It is a stock suspension that is not driven hard or on rough roads. Any ideas of what it might be? When I take it to the shop they don't notice anything wrong. It is definitely outside the vehicle as I can hear it when I get it or out, but also while I'm driving.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would definitely look into the lower ball joints. They just get worse and worse until it pops out the socket. A friend of mine has done it twice on two Panther platform(Crown Vic & Town Car) cars and finally learned his lesson. Try to avoid turning the steering wheel all the way in until repaired. I can only imagine the strain on the ball joint with the weight of these vehicles.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You can also try spraying the control arm and sway bar bushings with kerosene or silicone. They sometimes dry out and make noise. But I'd definitely look at those ball joints as Drae says!

Plati

Reaction score
Your sounds kinda different but similar. I've had the front suspension link break on 2 Expeditions. It would make a noise when turning into my driveway going through the gutter. Easy enough to check and confirm.

Plati

Reaction score
Just noticed you said "It is definitely outside the vehicle as I can hear it when I get it or out, but also while I'm driving".

It creaks when you get in or out?
Can you rock the Truck and hear it?
Shocks?

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can and now that it is getting warmer out (vs - 30) it doesn't appear to be as bad but still creaky.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You can also try spraying the control arm and sway bar bushings with kerosene or silicone. They sometimes dry out and make noise. But I'd definitely look at those ball joints as Drae says!

My sway bar mid point bushings were squeaking like crazy last winter when my fat rear end would clump in. Bushing were still good but dry, added some grease to those and the end link bushings. Roughly a year later and still not a sound since.

My bad ball joint squeaked when turning the wheel and not climbing in but still worth a look

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ball joints can be checked by putting a big ass pry bar or pipe under tire, and rock upwards. Obviously it has to be on stands. Use an assistant, easier to observe movement in lower and upper joints.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk