Crossbar additional mounting hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s1000pre

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Max and just purchased a Thule XL carrier. In the rear position (rear crossbar at rear, front crossbar mounted center) the carrier doesn’t allow the tailgate to open completely. In the forward position, the carrier covers most of the panoramic roof. If I drill and tap an additional mounting hole in the rail just forward of the center mounting position, I can move the carrier far enough forward to clear the tailgate. Has anyone drilled and tapped an additional mounting hole for the crossbar mounting screw? I would like to use the OEM front hole for the rear crossbar screw, and add a new hole for the front crossbar screw.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Yakima box and I was able to use the middle hole position to allow tailgate to open. I forget the model and length of mine but it only covered the back seat (second row) sunroof section. With the box on I left the shade closed anyway.

I personally would not tap a new hole but that's me... I am guessing it could be done though

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Max and just purchased a Thule XL carrier. In the rear position (rear crossbar at rear, front crossbar mounted center) the carrier doesn’t allow the tailgate to open completely. In the forward position, the carrier covers most of the panoramic roof. If I drill and tap an additional mounting hole in the rail just forward of the center mounting position, I can move the carrier far enough forward to clear the tailgate. Has anyone drilled and tapped an additional mounting hole for the crossbar mounting screw? I would like to use the OEM front hole for the rear crossbar screw, and add a new hole for the front crossbar screw.
I think the material is thin, so I don’t think you will get enough threads if you tap it. You could possibly install the rivet style nuts. You need a special gun to install them.

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure you can't tap it and have it work, you will need to install some sort of rivnut to do it. I don't have a sun roof so I don't have issues...but I do have 3 bars on mine to help distribute the load better when the big box is up there. The factory bars seemed pretty flimsy to me.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I paid a friend that used to work at a rack shop and he drilled and used a rivnut to do it. The material isn't something you can tap on my 19. I don't know if it has changed much for the 22. I used a rear factory hole and drilled forward of it for the second hole. I think most rack shops will do it but I am not sure the cost.

OP
OP
s1000pre

s1000pre

Reaction score
I drilled a 23/64 hole and inserted a 6mm rivnut which worked great. This allowed me to use the front oem roof rail position for the rear crossbar hole, and the new rail rivnut hole for the crossbar front mount. I filled the oem rivenut with the plastic insert which you can see to the rear.

Attachments

• D8B0C771-E243-4B80-A880-2FEB72A30EC4.jpeg
    D8B0C771-E243-4B80-A880-2FEB72A30EC4.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 40
  • D3AC4B1D-4E89-4C0A-B22D-09196CA607B2.jpeg
    D3AC4B1D-4E89-4C0A-B22D-09196CA607B2.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 38

rpw2021

Reaction score
I drilled a 23/64 hole and inserted a 6mm rivnut which worked great. This allowed me to use the front oem roof rail position for the rear crossbar hole, and the new rail rivnut hole for the crossbar front mount. I filled the oem rivenut with the plastic insert which you can see to the rear.

Great tips. I assume you used a rivet nut setting tool to install the rivnut? Aluminum rivet nut?

OP
OP
s1000pre

s1000pre

Reaction score
Yes, Astro Pneumatic tool. I used stainless rivenuts. Aluminum won’t hold as well, and the roof rails are metal, not aluminum. I didn’t want to risk the chance of galvanic corrosion.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score