Cupholder fell through console! Weird!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add me to the cup holder falling apart club. Did the fix as described in this thread using the machine bolts and nylon locking nuts this weekend, and i now have better than factory strength. Whoever at ford that came up with that design should be fired

cscronce

Reaction score
Problem Houston…. Fixed mine 2 times with zip ties….. this is #3 and I ordered new from Tasca…. Problem now is when I reconnected they select her switch on the gear shifter my car won’t crank and there is a flashing red light on the park area of the selector knob

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem Houston…. Fixed mine 2 times with zip ties….. this is #3 and I ordered new from Tasca…. Problem now is when I reconnected they select her switch on the gear shifter my car won’t crank and there is a flashing red light on the park area of the selector knob
Doesn't seem right. All you did was replace the cupholder assembly? Any chance you forgot to reconnect something, or maybe something came loose when you were putting it all back together? I know, dumb questions. How about disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes and letting everything reset and discharge?

Gorp2007

Reaction score
Been having this issue for a few months, fixed it once but it happened again (twice). Looks like it's time to go buy some M14 bolts!

John Fendley

Reaction score
I understand there is a video for the cup holder issue, but I can’t find it. Could someone please direct me to it. I do appreciate the time you you to do this. Thank-you in advance.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welp. I knew it was only a matter of time and if be faced with this. It took three years but mine finally cratered under the weight of my wife's giant water mug. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly and remembered this thread with all the useful help. Funny thing is that my wife has been using this mug and others like it in her RDX for over 5 yrs, with double the mileage and nothing has ever fallen apart.

I took as much of the advice in this thread as I could find and tried to marry it all up. And I will admit, I talked trash early on in this thread about the rubber band, and while I admit the it's actually a pretty sturdy band, is still a crappy design.

So I managed to get everything apart (without breaking something else), and fixed in about 3hrs, including dry time for the plastic weld. Not a hard job but pretty annoying when you see how overly complex and yet how brittle and terrible this design is. Given that Ford won't warranty this crap, it's almost like it was made to fail for a super easy and expensive replacement many owners of these would elect to do vs. repair.

To do the repair, I ran to my local ACE and grabbed a bunch of 6/32nds screws, nylon locknuts, and some washers. I ended up not using the washers as there isn't really enough room on the plastic flanges for them. I found that using a super small drill bit on the plastic weld first, then following up with a larger diameter drill bit for the screws was best. The final screws I ended up using were 6/32 x 1/2”. I applied a nice bead of plastic weld right before screwing it all back together. And that's where my first mistake was made, I forgot to put the clear led strip back in first. Thank goodness the plastic weld hadnt set yet and I was able to pull it apart to get that back in. Also. To make reassembly easier, I used a marker and scribed front on each major piece.

2hrs of dry time and it was ready to go back in. Another annoying part is the wire harnesses. A bunch of different ones that all release differently. Why not either make them a standard mechanism or create a single harness regardless of trim level, to make everything easier. Anyway, thank you to everyone for posting your experiences.

Attachments

• PXL_20230508_000604290.jpg
    PXL_20230508_000604290.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20230507_230524306.jpg
    PXL_20230507_230524306.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

lurch

Reaction score
While taking mine apart, I lost one of the clips that holds the LED to the bottom of the cup holder. It dropped when I popped it off and went under the storage compartment. I am not getting it without pulling a lot of bolts. I have it zip tied for now but I would like to get the right part back in place. I don't see the individual clip for sale, just the entire cup holder assembly. Is there anywhere to get just this one clip?

IMG_5401.png

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While taking mine apart, I lost one of the clips that holds the LED to the bottom of the cup holder. It dropped when I popped it off and went under the storage compartment. I am not getting it without pulling a lot of bolts. I have it zip tied for now but I would like to get the right part back in place. I don't see the individual clip for sale, just the entire cup holder assembly. Is there anywhere to get just this one clip?

View attachment 77908
Is the one you're holding an example of what dropped, or is this what the dropped piece clipped to? Maybe someone could 3d print something? or short of buying and finding a used part, like this or something (still cheaper than a whole new cup holder assembly) but I'm not sure if this uses the same connectors or not. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253941263280?hash=item3b20142bb0:g:P-sAAOSw22lbyhxK

willdoskey

Reaction score
I was reading through all is and thought what if somebody (not me :) ) could somehow 3D print an improved one? Just a thought....