Curious... 5 star tune for a 2 valve 5.4??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A perfectionist is what you want. They cost a bit more, but the chance of comebacks are greatly reduced. What brand radiator did you go with? I think you posted it weeks back, but guys thinking about a new one might want to know.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

donl

Reaction score
A perfectionist is what you want. They cost a bit more, but the chance of comebacks are greatly reduced. What brand radiator did you go with? I think you posted it weeks back, but guys thinking about a new one might want to know.

No new radiator, used the OEM. Converting to a cross flow from a later model would have been a major PITA. The FF Dynamics kit went on fairly easily with some minor fabrication and modification to the mounting brackets and the wiring was not plug and play like say a Flex A Lite fan kit. I am electrically challenged so my tech did the fan install and did a very tidy job. I really like the fans.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do engines really lose substantial power with mileage? I’m not convinced....If your engine is in good tune (new plugs, boots, air filter, fuel filter) and you run fuel cleaner through occasionally I’d bet it’s pretty close to factory even at 200k miles. You might lose 10 horsepower or so......in the boats a big block in good tune with 1,600 hours will run just as fast as a new one.

Last edited:

donl

Reaction score
Do engines really lose substantial power with mileage? I’m not convinced....If your engine is in good tune (new plugs, boots, air filter, fuel filter) and you run fuel cleaner through occasionally I’d bet it’s pretty close to factory even at 200k miles. You might lose 10 horsepower or so......in the boats a big block in good tune with 1,600 hours will run just as fast as a new one.

Dunno, you might be right. However, 154K miles at say an average speed of 25mph, mas o menos, is about 6200 hours of operation; a bit more than 1600 hours. So, like I said, you might be right and like I said in my previous, any future dyno pull would be compared to factory specified TQ/HP.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A motor with over 100k on it won't be quite as strong as say one that's just broken in around 7k. Theirs valve leakage, piston wear, and piston ring sealing. I'm just spitballing here, but I bet if you Dyno 2 engines, one with 7k, and one like our friends with 150k, the 7k one should put out 5-10 more hp. Can you feel it? Maybe, maybe not. But logically on the Dyno their should be a diff. Well maybe if our op keeps his vehicle long enough, he can rebuild all those worn items, and add a few more go fast goodies, like higher compression pistons, with a .060 overbore, stroker rods, have the heads ported, and then his tune will really have his driver's license vaporize! Dropping about 200 lbs in weight sure will help.

donl

Reaction score
I build performance Harley motors, not professionally but for my two bikes and friends and family. I am not a tuner but one of the best tuners in the country is about 45 minutes away. He used to have a "dyno" day once a month and I have seen plenty of dyno pulls on various configurations of Harley built motors. TQ is what registers on the butt dyno, much more than HP which will register but you have to get moving first. Anything over 5TQ will register on the butt dyno on an 800 pound motorcycle. No idea how much of an increase it would take to register on the butt dyno in an Expy but the minor modifications and the tune on this little 4.6L motor are definitely registering on my butt dyno.

I think we probably dropped at least 50# with the removal of the clutch fan, radiator shroud, exhaust manifolds and all the intake crap; the replacement hardware was much lighter. It would be a real challenge to find another 150#.

More to come next year. A motor rebuild, perhaps a crate motor, is in the future. The tuner I mentioned previously is one of the best head porters/engine builders in the country; Google Mike Lozano or Lozano Brothers Porting. Mike can do the head work and help me figure out how to rebuild this one.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to lose about 80 plus pounds, do as I did. Lose your rear tow bar, front tow hooks, and 3 rd back seat. If you tow or have a large family, disregard seat and tow hitch. Good thing is you can always reinstall.

donl

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Tow bar and hooks are easy; third row seat will probably stay. It has been so long since I have had a flat tire, thinking of dropping the spare. I carry rope plugs and small compressor on my bike to some pretty remote locations in the Texas hill country, so thinking why not the truck? Plug and air up, no dealing with the spare, head to Discount Tire for a proper repair ASAP.o_O

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about the spare. Just also keep a good long distance tow insurance just in case. All the items add up when it comes to weight drop. That third seat weighs like 40 pounds, it's a heavy *****!