Curious... 5 star tune for a 2 valve 5.4??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was hoping for answers pertaining to my question... Not just about HP/ torque I could get out of it. Oh well

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was hoping for answers pertaining to my question... Not just about HP/ torque I could get out of it. Oh well

What does the manufacturer claim? I don’t think anyone has dyno’d that wasn’t also boosted. So I think you got your answer: yes it’s worth it.

donl

Reaction score

First, your question and any answer is subjective. What something is worth to one may not be of value to another. I did my best to answer within the context of the modifications made to my 2 valve 4.6L and I think I made it pretty clear that the results would not have been as satisfactory without the tune. Was it worth it? Yes, to me it was. The tune just pulled together the collection of added parts and the individual performance contribution made by each to optimize the overall result. How much TQ/HP that might be, I have no idea.

Why not call the 5 Star guys for their input; might help you make up your mind. There are cheaper tuning systems that might be more suitable for a stock motor. I went with 5 Star for a custom tune based on the upgraded configuration I would have post modifications.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
23 posts later, and well John, looks like no one has done the tune on a early 2 valver. Why not get ahold of 5 star tuning, and ask to see some before and after charts. If you see anything above 10-15 hp, and say 20 ft lbs of torque, I'd go for it. Like one of the other posters said, between the better breathing 3 valve heads, and 2 more gears in the transmission, yes the gains would be more noticeable on later models 07 on up, but what the hay, if it won't do any damage, and can still pass smog, I'd say go for it!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to retract my last post, kinda. DonL did it on his 4.6 with add on parts and the tune. If your trying to do a tune on a bone stock 4.6/5.4, your not going to get the gains that a engine with better breathing exaust/intake would get. All the parts gel together. I did a 883 to 1200 Harley conversion about 12 years back. It ran way better on the bottom end, but started choking on the mid to top. I had to rejet the carburetor earlier for the larger displacement. I popped in a better breathing K&N air filter, and wow, it cleaned right up. Now it accelerated from idle up to 7k without a hiccup. So bottom line, if your looking for large gains, put in large money!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Torque and vehicle mass... well that and shift points

My BMW 335d (+50 ftlbs torque, -45hp, -1500 lbs, same tranny different software) butt-dynos like a terror and shreds tires every 5-15k mi... well when it actually runs and ain't in limp mode lol

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am I reading right? You gained torque, but dropped horsepower?

blue oval guy

Reaction score
Is the 5 star tuner available through Summit? might give me chance to charge something on my card. I need a little bump in power since I'm running oversize wheels and tires..

donl

Reaction score
[QUOTE="blue oval guy]Is the 5 star tuner available through Summit? might give me chance to charge something on my card. I need a little bump in power since I'm running oversize wheels and tires..[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you have to go direct to 5 Star. They are a preferred vendor of this forum; give them a call.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone tried Diablosport Predator on a 5.4? Wonder how they compare to 5-star.

I have a Predator in my Charger. Worked well at first. Worked much better after I upgraded to a true dual catback exhaust and CAI.