custom sub box under rear seat 01 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
Are there any decently priced sub boxes that go under the rear seat for an 01 expy? Only ones I have been finding are ones that either go in the 3rd row spot and kill your cargo space, or under the rear seat but don't allow the seat to fold. that would be an option but I cannot find it now, and I think it was quite pricey.

wouldn't it be better to just build one, or could I get by with a generic box?

Also, while I like the stock 01 stereo (premium), it obviously has no low level outputs. Are the low level adapters a waste of money, or do they work really well?

I have gotten mixed reviews on them. I am not exactly looking to upgrade the head unit, as I like the cd changer, but I am not opposed to it. I just don't want one of those fancy looking ones that attract the wrong attention.
In my F150 with a custom box under the rear seat, I had an Excelon DPX701. I tried and tried to find one, and the only one I found has the lighting non-op. Other than that, they are impossible to find. Any suggestions for one like that?

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your not going to be happy with a small under seat bass box, theirs not enough air space to sound right. I have the mach Stereo in my 2000 which has the 8 inch sub built into the passenger rear, with an amp mounted right below it. It's not huge on bass like a big box and 2 12 inch woofers would be. But maybe you can figure a way to wire one into yours, put a larger amp, or maybe a bazooka 10 inch tube or two. They don't take up much space, have built in amps, and crossovers.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
Your not going to be happy with a small under seat bass box, theirs not enough air space to sound right. I have the mach Stereo in my 2000 which has the 8 inch sub built into the passenger rear, with an amp mounted right below it. It's not huge on bass like a big box and 2 12 inch woofers would be. But maybe you can figure a way to wire one into yours, put a larger amp, or maybe a bazooka 10 inch tube or two. They don't take up much space, have built in amps, and crossovers.

Is that due to the huge interior space difference between an xtra cab F150 and an expedition?

So in other words it would be best to put a box behind the rear seat and sacrifice some cargo space. Disappointing...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Life's always some sort of tradeoff. Bass requires air to move. When you try to cram air out of a little space it sounds boomy, and not lifelike is the best way to explain it. Depending on what kind of sound your looking for, a small box might work. I have the 8 inch mach sub that I spoke of, and personally it stinks. First off the crossover in the built in amp sucks. It lets in midrange along with the bass. I've done many installs in my past, over 45 years worth. You want just bass notes below 70 hz to push through sub, anything above that messes with the front 4 door speakers, it overpowers the sound. If you want bass and no loss of space, your choices are limited. Remember your filling a large space back there. Also keep in mind bass response drops the moment you start rolling, probably due to sound escaping out windows. Whichever way you go, be sure speakers/ amps are returnable in case your not happy. Remember only your ears are what matter!

OP
OP
N

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
Well, I don't listen to much rap, mostly country and rock/metal. Once in awhile I''ll bump Brotha Lynch or something. I don't want anything like a 4000w system, nor the need for 2 15s. I just know I had a 10" JBL under the rear passenger fold down seat in my F150, and it hit HARD. Seeing as how the expeditions rear seats are taller, I would think I could fit a slightly bigger box under them and get more bass.

I would just have to completely redo the sound system in it, and run dual amps.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like I said it's always something. I've taken same speakers put them in one car, sounded great, another car ahh, Just didn't work. Acoustics change so much in home stereo, and car! I've had a top home speaker sound amazing in one room, then moved to another, and just sounded bad. That's why I said try it, be sure you can return/swap if your not happy. I've been doing car stereo since mid 1970's. I've installed basic two speaker 6x9 setup with only 6 watt receiver that rocked. And I've installed multi amp setups that just sounded loud/ nasty . Again listen at shop first, ideally in a vehicle like yours. When it comes to audio we always keep wanting better. They got a name for it Audiophile!