Cut the Bumper or Get a Lift--Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, all. I have a project Expedition going and could use a little advice. I am the original owner of this 2000 Ford Expedition 4x4 XLT/Sport. I want to make it look a little more aggressive. I have tuned up the mechanical, will add rims/tires, and paint last. This is my first time doing a project like this.

Black rims with 33" BFGs are going on next week. I tested the rims/tires and there is a minor rub at the front bumper (video). So I have two questions for you.

Question #1: Cut the bumper ($50 at auto body shop next door) or spend the money on a lift/level of some sort?

Question #2: Do I have enough room on the back/inside of the front? The tire does no touch, and there is about 1/4"-1/2" clearance.

Question #3: Will this modification cause mechanical issues (someone suggested this will cause gearing issues)

I don't use this SUV for sport or going off road. It is 99% on a paved street or freeway.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 36485 View attachment 36484 View attachment 36483 View attachment 36482

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about you raise the front? Just crank up the torsion bar keys? It would take about 10 min and cost nothing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, KR.....I will ask about that. Newbie question: How does that NOT make the front end tilt up? Or, is it that a couple inches is not noticeable?

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, built a 4x4 off road expedition recently, you can easily trim the bumpers yourself with a sawzall with a fine tooth blade or a jig saw. That would also cost nothing. The more you crank the tortion bars the tougher it rides. I had a tortion loft and hated it. If you do decide to lift, do a suspension lift. This is mine if you haven’t seen it on here before.

9193F278-09F4-42A8-A80D-B66CF6065C1D.jpeg

C6D2DCF0-6A77-479E-BE86-9203E987D7F5.jpeg

6E410C48-4F91-428B-B92E-58FD61452943.jpeg

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Hi, Craig. Your truck looks great. Thanks for sharing the advice. I decided not to lift it for now. I had the body shop give the bumper a little haircut. It rubs a tiny bit still, so I am going to scoot the bumper forward. It has been at the painter’s for the last two weeks. I’ll post before/after pics when done. I really appreciate the responses.

Do you know what kind of headlights you have? Are you happy with them?