Cylinder 1 Misfire. NOT plug,coil,or injector. Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post#33 while he was driving with dealer mechanic hooked up a kv spike on#1 others remained fine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking back through this thread, there still isn't a clear answer if the ignition coil harness was checked/replaced. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace. I would replace the whole bank if I were you. If you're willing to try I will even send you 4 of the ones I bought brand new, while fixing my wife's misfire, in the mail for free. You can do the work yourself because its that easy. Let me know and I will dig them out for you.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This isn't to start a disagreement but #33 only stated a spike - not a kv spike. That is why I asked what was being monitored - primary, secondary, timing or other parameter.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well kids this one's getting fun! Stay tuned, you don't want to miss a moment!

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
What was being monitored that showed the spike?

I don't see where a kv spike was mentioned.

Did they compare the signals between the crank and cam position sensors while it was misfiring?

I will see if I can get ahold of the mechanic and ask him if he compared the signals

This isn't to start a disagreement but #33 only stated a spike - not a kv spike. That is why I asked what was being monitored - primary, secondary, timing or other parameter.

I’m not sure what was being monitored i just saw cylinder 1 spike on his screen when the misfire happened but not it isn’t just cylinder 1. I will try to get the answer of what was being monitored as well. This is getting to be a little above my head I’m trying to relay everything as best as I can.

Do you think it could be something as simple as a crank or cam position sensor because all the misfires are between 1-4 cylinders on the passenger side?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you think it could be something as simple as a crank or cam position sensor because all the misfires are between 1-4 cylinders on the passenger side?
Can you feel a misfire happening? They can be slight but you can usually feel it vibrate a little and sometimes hear it depending on if it's just not firing at all or firing early/late.

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Can you feel a misfire happening? They can be slight but you can usually feel it vibrate a little and sometimes hear it depending on if it's just not firing at all or firing early/late.

Only above 3000RPMS and sometimes it goes away after 4500RPMS

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually, but not always a failing, or failed crank position sensor will kill your spark completely. But in some cases they can cause misfires like yours. If its not operating properly the advancing of the ignition timing gets disrupted, along with the proper firing of your fuel injectors. It ranges from rough idle, stutter during acceleration, poor fuel mileage. Problem is it should, but doesn't always trip a code. You might consider popping in a new Ford, or quality aftermarket one in. Their not that pricey, and hell you've done everything else. Keep in touch!

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score

Did they compare the signals between the crank and cam position sensors while it was misfiring?

So I talked to the second guy at the dealer that looked at it(I have stumped 3 top guys here in the Twin Cities) and he said the crankshaft speed was being monitored to see where the misfire was happening.

He also mentioned that if he kept the truck in first gear and ran it up past 3,000RPMS it wouldn't misfire. Only when you put your foot in it does it misfire above 3,000RPMS.

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score

He didn't compare the signals between the crank and cam position sensors but he said he checked the cam position and there was no cam position error pid?