Dark red engine oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HamAndBologna

Reaction score
I have a 1998 4.6 expedition. The other day I checked my coolant and saw it was empty. (Which Is strange because I stay on top of it.) After a while of digging I think my head gasket might have blown. I drained the coolant and it was cloudy, or foggy. But not the goopy chocolate milk looking stuff. So next I drained the motor oil, and it was dark red? Wtf does this mean

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Some oil brands look different than others, what oil were you running? And did it smell like it had some coolant or fuel contamination?

OP
OP
H

HamAndBologna

Reaction score
Castrol full synthetic 10w-20. Maybe a bit of both on the contamination. Since then I dove into the motor a little and found my intake manifold gaskets on both sides where blown. Could that be the reason?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very likely. Is a good place for the 2 to mix. After you clean all that up, add some Hot Shot Secret Friction lube to your fresh new oil to get back into those places where the coolant mix may have set up.