Dashboard Dimmer Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghostwolf

Reaction score
Our new (to us) 2016 Expedition hasn't even been with us a week and I'm still working through all the features and testing things out.

One thing that doesn't work is the dashboard light dimmer. It appears to have no impact on the brightness of the speedometer, the displays on either side of the speedo, or any other lights on the dash. I'm inclined to think the dimmer switch is the problem, largely because when the headlights are on and the dash lights illuminate, the dimmer switch does not light. Of course, this vehicle is new to us, so I don't know if it should light.

So, questions:
  • Can anybody here tell me if the dash dimmer switch illuminates on a 2016 Expedition?
  • Does anybody have a procedure for removing this switch? Does it pry out of the dash or do I have to push it out from behind?
Note: I know the main touch screen has it's own dimmer; that works fine.

Insights are appreciated; thank you.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
upload_2019-11-21_1-39-27.jpeg

This is what I have, directly to the left of the steering wheel. It is touchy, light touch up will increase dimmer brightness, down decreases, and a hard push up turns on the map lights, hard push down turns them off. It is lit up when the parking and/or headlights are on for me. Not sure about removal if yours is dead, doesn’t look terrible on first glance. Have you checked fuses already?

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our new (to us) 2016 Expedition hasn't even been with us a week and I'm still working through all the features and testing things out.

One thing that doesn't work is the dashboard light dimmer. It appears to have no impact on the brightness of the speedometer, the displays on either side of the speedo, or any other lights on the dash. I'm inclined to think the dimmer switch is the problem, largely because when the headlights are on and the dash lights illuminate, the dimmer switch does not light. Of course, this vehicle is new to us, so I don't know if it should light.

So, questions:
  • Can anybody here tell me if the dash dimmer switch illuminates on a 2016 Expedition?
  • Does anybody have a procedure for removing this switch? Does it pry out of the dash or do I have to push it out from behind?
Note: I know the main touch screen has it's own dimmer; that works fine.

Insights are appreciated; thank you.

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. I cannot tell you how to remove the switch.

The switch in my 2015 will brighten / dim the dash - and turn on or off the interior lights.

The switch has always been very “touchy” and is a very poor designed switch. It is irritating to operate.

If I want to turn on the interior lights, I must push and hold the top of the rocker switch. If I want to turn off the interior lights, I must push and hold the bottom of the rocker switch. This action turns off the interior lights, but then also dims the dash lights. Then I must push the top of the switch to increase the dash lights to their previous setting.

Ford could not just install an easy to use on-off interior light switch (rant...).

I suspect the switch provides feedback to the body control computer, which adjusts the lights.

OP
OP
Ghostwolf

Ghostwolf

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

The fact that my dimmer switch is not illuminated when the headlights are on is a good indicator that the switch is fried.

I took a look at the fuse list and I didn’t see anything that was exclusive to the controls lighting. Keep in mind that the interior lights and dash lights all work fine. The only thing that doesn’t work is the dimmer.

I think I’ll buy a replacement dimmer and see if that fixes the problem. I’ll update this thread with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plati

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

The fact that my dimmer switch is not illuminated when the headlights are on is a good indicator that the switch is fried.

I took a look at the fuse list and I didn’t see anything that was exclusive to the controls lighting. Keep in mind that the interior lights and dash lights all work fine. The only thing that doesn’t work is the dimmer.

I think I’ll buy a replacement dimmer and see if that fixes the problem. I’ll update this thread with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
maybe take it out and look at it first, it might just be unplugged or something
since to replace it you have to do that anyway

not a lot of people try fixing things but a lot of stuff is an easy repair too

OP
OP
Ghostwolf

Ghostwolf

Reaction score
UPDATE: I'm a moron and @MrSticker wins the prize.

I purchased a replacement dimmer switch, picked it up and proceeded to look under the dash for a method to remove the old dimmer switch. While feeling around I noticed that the connector to the existing dimmer switch was indeed disconnected, though I didn't have sufficient access to actually plug it back in.

I removed the bottom half of the steering column shroud and that gave me access to plug the dimmer connector back into the original dimmer. Now everything works just fine...

...and I now have to return this part (if they'll take it) to the dealer.

Note that I never did figure out how to remove the dimmer switch. That sucker is in there solid.

Plati

Reaction score
UPDATE: I'm a moron and @MrSticker wins the prize.

I purchased a replacement dimmer switch, picked it up and proceeded to look under the dash for a method to remove the old dimmer switch. While feeling around I noticed that the connector to the existing dimmer switch was indeed disconnected, though I didn't have sufficient access to actually plug it back in.

I removed the bottom half of the steering column shroud and that gave me access to plug the dimmer connector back into the original dimmer. Now everything works just fine...

...and I now have to return this part (if they'll take it) to the dealer.

Note that I never did figure out how to remove the dimmer switch. That sucker is in there solid.
No moron, you fixed it. There are many paths to success, all with same end result.

I've made every mistake known to man, so I have that goin for me … which is nice.

Here's the next level. Why was it unplugged? Did previous owner unplug it to fix something? No way to know (unless you bought it new). All I'm saying is you might not have a permanent fix in place & just might need that new switch anywho. I wouldn't lose sleep over it but this same scenario has happened to me in the past. Just sayin.

It might have been unplugged at the Dealer during last service call so they could generate a new service visit with an easy fix at your expense! LOL

OP
OP
Ghostwolf

Ghostwolf

Reaction score
Here's the next level. Why was it unplugged?

The Carfax for this vehicle showed no details on repairs, just scheduled maintenance. The dealer where I made the purchase did have to repair some sensor in the center console that didn't show the vehicle in park when the shift lever was in park (vehicle dinged with a "put in park" warning whenever you opened the driver door with the ignition shut off). It's possible that the console repair necessitated a removal of some of the dash and they left it unplugged accidentally. Other than that, I have no smoking gun for the unplugged dimmer switch wiring.

I did inspect the dimmer connector and the locking mechanism on the connector is undamaged and did not want to pull out after I plugged it back in, so I don't think it just fell off.