1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dashcam add

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by cdahlen, Sep 20, 2020.

1. cdahlen

cdahlen Full Access Members

I want to hardwire a dashcam. I put an "add a tap" in fuse 16 (acc) & 34 (batt). When checked with a multimeter they had power but not over 12v.with the power cord attached, there is no power to the camera. Should I use different fuse slots or could it be a bad supply cord

2. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

You should get 12 or 13 volts. If you have a cheap China meter it can be a volt or two off. Try a test light on that fuse bootleg connection and make sure that's good. Then, if the cord unplugs from the camera, check for voltage at that end.

3. Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone Full Access Members

I run hot and cold on installing a dash cam. There are so many yahoo drivers out there that it makes sense to CYA (electronically). Haven't talked myself into it yet...weighing the plusses and minuses of having a stereo shop rig up an install, and also not excited about fabricating the wiring and contorting myself to access fuse panel and route wiring under trim pieces I see that Ford has dash cams and pre-wired harnesses now.: https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/dashcam.html anyone out there know if this would make for somewhat of a clean and idiot-proof, or at least simple install...if I get one of my adult sons to help?

4. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

I installed a Garmin dashcam in my 08. There's an unused fuse in the fuse box, where I ran a lead up around the windshield trim and down the mirror conduit. It made a quick and neat installation. The camera attached to the windshield and the compass quickly corrected itself for the camera. The whole job took less than an hour.

5. cdahlen

cdahlen Full Access Members

Thanks everyone, I got put in & working. Turned out (stupid me for not checking first) a bad ground connection.