Dashcam add

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdahlen

Reaction score
I want to hardwire a dashcam. I put an "add a tap" in fuse 16 (acc) & 34 (batt). When checked with a multimeter they had power but not over 12v.with the power cord attached, there is no power to the camera. Should I use different fuse slots or could it be a bad supply cord

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You should get 12 or 13 volts. If you have a cheap China meter it can be a volt or two off. Try a test light on that fuse bootleg connection and make sure that's good. Then, if the cord unplugs from the camera, check for voltage at that end.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run hot and cold on installing a dash cam. There are so many yahoo drivers out there that it makes sense to CYA (electronically). Haven't talked myself into it yet...weighing the plusses and minuses of having a stereo shop rig up an install, and also not excited about fabricating the wiring and contorting myself to access fuse panel and route wiring under trim pieces I see that Ford has dash cams and pre-wired harnesses now.: https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/dashcam.html anyone out there know if this would make for somewhat of a clean and idiot-proof, or at least simple install...if I get one of my adult sons to help?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I installed a Garmin dashcam in my 08. There's an unused fuse in the fuse box, where I ran a lead up around the windshield trim and down the mirror conduit. It made a quick and neat installation. The camera attached to the windshield and the compass quickly corrected itself for the camera. The whole job took less than an hour.

OP
OP
C

cdahlen

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I got put in & working. Turned out (stupid me for not checking first) a bad ground connection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK