Dealer Recommends Transmission change at 44K. Is this a money grab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$400 Seems like a lot of money, but break it down. Around 14 quarts of fluid, retail about $80, dealer prices around $120. Then you probably got at least an hour labor for another $100. If they throw in a filter, dealer price is around $40. Definitely expensive, but if you did it yourself, dropping the pan, replacing the filter, and disposing of the fluid- you would invest around $125 to $150 and your own labor.

Now, is it worth it. Probably not. What kills the lubricating properties is moisture absorption, heat, and particulate build up from the friction material (usually heat contributes to this as well). Most old school guys would change on any discoloration or as preventative around 100K mileage. Since moisture absorption is more time based, I know some that change every 2 or 3 years if there is no discoloration.

However, as with an engine, lubrication and heat removal are important. If you want to implement a preventative MX approach for replacing these fluids, pick a time frame and cost point and stick to it. It will help. You can definitely tell when you open an engine or transmission the positive results of good oil or ATF. Less wear and cleaner, and less heat damage.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my '09 Expy, at about 85K miles, I noticed the trans was leaking around the electrical connection. I did some research and found that it's a common problem. I bought the replacement sleeve with the new O-rings and replaced it. The sleeve has to be released from inside, so I suctioned out the fluid and dropped the pan. While I was in there I replaced the filter and put in new fluid. I bought the recommended fluid from the dealer. There was no residue or shavings in the bottom of the pan. I checked the fluid level several times, both hot & cold to satisfy myself that all is good. This was in 2014. Still going strong now at 120K miles. It's a bit of a pain to check the fluid level, since it has to be done with the trans at normal operating temperature and the engine running. You need a 19 mm wrench and heavy gloves becuz the little plastic dipstick is right next to the HOT catalytic converter on the right side. FYI I always change my own oil and use Mobil 1 and either the Mobil 1 or K&N filter. I don't trust the quickie oil change places. (I'm 79, so I'm allowed to do that. Senior privilege.)

Wal92tt

Reaction score
IMO, changing the engine oil, trans fluid, and coolant more frequently are more beneficial than doing it infrequently and will do the car no harm. Some will say it's a waste of $$$ but think of it as insurance and assurance that you're staying a step ahead. You've got people on the other end who wait too late and are told to simply leave it alone or they'll be opening a can of worms/Pandora's box!
If I had a new car today, I would never wait until the manufactures recommendations. It's like playing Russian roulette! Will the dealer/manufacturer be there for you if waiting until their recommendations simply leaves you with a trans needing replacement??? They'll blame your driving style, your towing, etc...

Hey I may be wrong, please chime in....?

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Wal92tt. Too often is far better than not often enough. I also dislike the "power flush". Shortly after I bought my Expy used from the Ford dealer, I took it to them for a tranny service. I asked him to pass on to the mechanic that I would like to know what the inside of the pan looked like, as far as gunk in the bottom. I was told that they don't drop the pan or change the filter. They just flush it and that's all it needs. I called BS and told them to change the filter. The service manager got a bit of an attitude and told me it would cost extra. I told him that if I have to pay extra to get it done right, then charge me. I like the idea of flushing the cooler and converter, since I don't think there is a way to drain them, but not examine the pan and change the filter? Seriously?

iamretired

Reaction score
I got an 04 P71, and a 2015 expedition. I use the works coupon for both. Bought 2015 last March 2019 with 83k on it, went to gaudin next week, never said nothing changing tranny fluid but said brake fluid needed to changed? They told me same for o4 P-71 brake fluid needs to changed. I got 92k on 04 and my mechanic friends just laugh looking at both vehicles fluids.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But yet a few years later it seems they were extending those recommended intervals much higher. You will find very few 4r100 or 4r 75 that have had the transmission fluid changed every 30000 miles and most all those still go 250,000 without any service or rebuild.

If I remember correctly they were recommending 80-100k to change transmission fluid under normal conditions for a lot of vehicles.

With several decades of experience with AOD, AODE 4R70, 4R70w, 4R75, 4R100 trans unless you are putting them into severe-duty use and pulling at the maximum amount or greater... It is a total waste of money and time to change the transmission fluid every 30000 miles. You would see no difference changing 30,000 or changing its 75,000.
If you are Towing so much that the fluid is getting burned then yes, change it... Otherwise it's just wasting money.

I have had a fleet of these with 4R 100 24 passenger party buses and 20 passenger SUV limousines and even Town Car limousines holding 10 to 14 people.
These vehicles had far more engine problems and failures than they did transmissions.
The only transmission problems we had we're in the old days with the Aldi's in 89 Town Cars and up until around 92 to 94 with AOD. By the time the 4R70s came out our transmission problems pretty much went away.
Many times we would buy used vehicles or the vehicle we had would have 85 to 115k before they ever had the transmission touched. None of these had any failures.

Last edited: