Dealer Trepidation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all with wisdom, I humbly ask your council...Late last year, my new to me 2015 Expy displayed the dreaded Check Engine light...As the unit was still under full warranty I dropped by the dealer and they checked for fault codes, which indicated some issue within the emissions system. Since by that time the light had gone out, they chocked it up to "probably" some carbon that subsequently cleared itself. So, of course early this year and two months out of full warranty the same thing happened and the light stayed on and I returned to the dealer.

The service writer informed me that the problem was a bad PVC valve and would cost $250 for diagnosis and replacement. When I again informed the him that I had the truck in just three months before, that this seemed to be the same issue, and I was not really happy being stuck with a bill for something that should be a warranty item. After telling the service writer that I wanted to speak with the service manager, I got a call back that "in the interest of good customer relations" they would eat the $250. OK, nice!

Now, some five months later the stupid light was on again, constantly, for about a week while on a trip. So, I call the dealer when I got home, and now with the appointment with the dealer set for next Monday, the light has been out for three days. The codes that are being thrown are: P051D and P04DB, which are emissions related, again...

My dilemma I am asking help with is: what would y'all do about this? I am concerned that the dealer might "stick" me again. But I don't want to be negligent in taking care of an issue. I don't mind paying for needed repairs, but...

PS: Part of my hesitancy regarding the dealer is $250 for a $5 PVC valve...Are there other "non warranty" items in the emissions system they may try to charge for?

Thanks all in advance!...

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is the same part you should be fine.
Ford parts come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty including labor.
So either way it should be covered as Ford will be reimbursing the dealer.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience is that new PVC valves rarely fail. Since the problem resurfaced in such a short period of time, I am inclined to think that the tech just threw a part at the issue in a " hail Mary" kind of way...Anybody else have this happen?