Dealer wouldn't rotate my tires!! Faulty lug nuts??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff T

Reaction score
I stopped at my local dealer today for their oil change/tire rotation combo. Service Writer came out and said they wouldn't rotate the tires. Reason - Apparently the lug nuts are a piece of chromed metal over a lug nut to give them the correct look. He stated the outer caps get loose and deform with ice and cold. He suggested I replace the lug nuts with something aftermarket that is solid.

He also said he hoped Ford would recall them because of this issue.

Truck is a 17 with 96k on spent. Early life I GA, one winter in Chicago.

Anyone else experienced this??

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The POS lug nuts yes, dealer refusal no.

The dealer offered to replace mine for the small sum of $200+, or $85 if I brought my own lug nuts. I passed and replaced them myself. Depending on how bad the originals are you may need to buy a turbo socket to get them off.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the capless "fat" steel mushroom lugnuts found on some F150's and Expy's with steelies safe?

StephanSloan

Reaction score
Yes, I have had corrosion inside the lug nut cause it to plump up and deform. I bought 10 lug nuts and just swap in new ones when neededt brake jobs or tire rotations.
I would not hold my breath on the recall...
Good Luck,
Stephan

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, but my dealer replaced them all got FREE! But there most likely the same pos lug nutts that were on the truck.

Sent from my front porch using Tapatalk

ssmock

Reaction score
I had the same issue on two of my wheel lug nuts. I use discount tire for all of my tire needs and rotate every 3K to 5K miles. They replaced them for $65. Chrome, all steel and looked a little different than the originals from Ford but looked nice. Cheap insurance if something happened on a trip and couldn't get a lug nut off. Well worth the $65.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So will the dealer not do anything that involves removing the wheels?
Certainly would not take my vehicle there if they don’t trust themselves to remove a Ford factory part.

f150dave2002

Reaction score
The deformation also occurs with the use of air impact tools when tire service occurs. I worked at ford and couldn’t get mine covered even though I had every service documented for 45,000 miles at the dealer. I went with dorman brand on amazon for a replacement and have been pretty happy with them.

Dorman 611-288 Dometop Capped M14-2.0 Wheel Nut, 21mm Hex, 54mm Length (Box of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045IJF1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4kxDDb2ZQ9W7R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The deformation also occurs with the use of air impact tools when tire service occurs. I worked at ford and couldn’t get mine covered even though I had every service documented for 45,000 miles at the dealer. I went with dorman brand on amazon for a replacement and have been pretty happy with them.

Dorman 611-288 Dometop Capped M14-2.0 Wheel Nut, 21mm Hex, 54mm Length (Box of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045IJF1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4kxDDb2ZQ9W7R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't fit a 17, gen 3.5 uses different pitch (M14-1.5 iirc?)

Truck is a 17 with 96k on spent. Early life I GA, one winter in Chicago.

Anyone else experienced this??

2017 with almost 100k on the clock? Daaamn.

Uber / livery? Travelling salesman?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, and have always had the oil change service & tire rotation done at a Ford dealer.

At the beginning of this year, the service advisor told me that 20 of the 24 lug nuts were swollen and need replacing. Although I had purchased the Ford premium care extended warranty, the lug nuts were not covered.

Since I was having the tires rotated (The Works package), the dealer only charged me for the lug nuts. I was concerned that a wheel and tire could not be removed if I got a flat.

Ironically, several months later, scrap metal fell from a POS truck on the highway, striking the car in front of me and flattening one of my tires (it put a hole about the size of a quarter in the tread, and some of the metal belt was pulled out).

I had AAA install the spare, and the service guy said he often sees lug nuts swollen that he can not remove with his tools. He remarked my lug nuts looked new.

Ford clearly has designed a poor quality lug nut, which can cause problems with removal when they swell.