Decending Snowy Mountain Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn’t there a descent control button, also? Not sure how slow you need to be, or the expected steepness. (No snowy, sandy, rocky, steep hills round these parts, so don’t know how to use it!)
based on my experience the hill descent control applies the brakes whichi may not be wanted on a snowy drive. It also only actuates at speeds below a certain threshold, don't remember off the top of my head what it is but its pretty slow like 10-15 mph or something like that.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
based on my experience the hill descent control applies the brakes whichi may not be wanted on a snowy drive. It also only actuates at speeds below a certain threshold, don't remember off the top of my head what it is but its pretty slow like 10-15 mph or something like that.
Gotcha. Never seen anyone use it or talk about using it, so have a button that is never pressed. Lol.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha. Never seen anyone use it or talk about using it, so have a button that is never pressed. Lol.
It does work reasonably well offroad though. I have used it a handful of times offroad towing my trailer and it does fairly well. Sometimes feels a little gimicky but I don't know if some of that is because I come from a background of jeeps and manual transmissions, so it somewhat feels like a not needed feature.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I have the same experience. My thought is it would be for 4x4 trail descent (not sure I would take mine on something like this). I have seen it used in a four runner and it is amazing cause you are not freaking out about holding brakes, you can just steer. I did use it towing on really washboard roads with super steep declines once, it held it at 20MPH if I remember correctly. I still prefer the lockout gears. I like the Paddle shifter idea as I am often freaking out trying to watch the road and look down for the buttons.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Hill Descent Control is highly aggressive and only works at speeds between 3 and 20 mph.
Hill descent control cannot control
descent in all surface conditions and
circumstances, such as ice or
extremely steep grades. Hill descent
control is a driver assist system and cannot
substitute for good judgment by the driver.
Failure to do so may result in loss of vehicle
control, crash or serious injury.
Hill descent control does not
-- Chuck

Peter L

Reaction score
EVerybody already weighed in on the regular suggestions, slow down, 4A or 4H depending on your transmission/transfer case and maybe go into the manual selection mode. I'll just point out that if you are at a stop and shift into the sand/mud/ruts selector (for those without the 2/4H/4L option), my 2019 appears to lock the differentials in a "version" of 4-low. Great in really sketchy conditions like deep snow but you're limited to maybe 10 mph and it DOESN'T come out of "low" without stopping, putting in Park and changing the selection to snow or some other option. I'm interested if anyone else has found this option......

Fort C

Reaction score
I have a Gen 3 (2015 Limited-6 speed). and came back over Berthoud Pass from Winter Park last Friday night. Roads wer mostly dry. I was in 2W and the transmission seemed to be slipping in 3rd and 4th! The tow haul mode didn’t seem to help. Not sure if I’m starting to have transmission issues??

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Gen 3 (2015 Limited-6 speed). and came back over Berthoud Pass from Winter Park last Friday night. Roads wer mostly dry. I was in 2W and the transmission seemed to be slipping in 3rd and 4th! The tow haul mode didn’t seem to help. Not sure if I’m starting to have transmission issues??
You need to start your own thread in the 3 Gen section members can help you better there.
This might help,
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/correct-way-to-start-a-thread.47954/

OP
OP

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks again, ColoradoJon, I followed your suggestions, used sand/rut/snow mode which activates 4A, on the steepest descents stayed in automatic and used the minus to limit to 3rd gear, where the truck maintained a speed of approximately 30-35mph.
Truck handled perfectly.
On level ground navigating unplowed parking lot with about 7” of fresh snow, and climbing a grade the wheels never slipped.