Decent Code scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cam Driven

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like to get a code scanner ($200 max range) but have been unable to find any reviews that are not by people who have received the test units for free. And, while they may try to be honest they invariably slant many comments towards each manufacturer in the hopes of getting more freebies in the future.

I am looking at the
Ancel FX2000, FX3000, FX4000
Launch CRP 213, CRP 219

I have never used one before but have been working on cars for 40+ years so not new to grease under the fingernails. But I like the idea of Live data, I'd also like to see live spark plug figures too.

Can someone please point me at unbiased information sites?
Am I expecting too much from $200-ish?

We are currently trying to buy a used Expedition and would like to be able to check codes and cycle times etc to check that the PCM has not just been reset.

Thanks

Patrick Schultz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like to get a code scanner ($200 max range) but have been unable to find any reviews that are not by people who have received the test units for free. And, while they may try to be honest they invariably slant many comments towards each manufacturer in the hopes of getting more freebies in the future.

I am looking at the
Ancel FX2000, FX3000, FX4000
Launch CRP 213, CRP 219

I have never used one before but have been working on cars for 40+ years so not new to grease under the fingernails. But I like the idea of Live data, I'd also like to see live spark plug figures too.

Can someone please point me at unbiased information sites?
Am I expecting too much from $200-ish?

We are currently trying to buy a used Expedition and would like to be able to check codes and cycle times etc to check that the PCM has not just been reset.

Thanks

Check out Foxwell. We have one by them and love it!

Jim Brown

Reaction score
You can get what you're looking for with OBDLink MX bluetooth OBD-II adapter ($80-$100) and Torque Pro android app ($5 from the android play store), adding the Ford PID data set (free with the app).

Evaluating vehicle purchase you can use just about any cheap code scanner that has live data, and also check modules to see if the codes were recently cleared. There are many brands and models available for around $40. Consider Autel AL319.

Comparing more expensive scanners, consider the PIDs that are actually reported by the ECU of the vehicle you want to service. If the PID isn't reported you can't view the data no matter how expensive the scanner. Many scanners won't report all data reported by the ECU.

As you noticed, most review sites are just affiliated marketing with superficial reviews. Looking at manufacturer info, they don't have details about which PIDs will be displayed by their scanners for specific year, make, model vehicles.

TXFishin

Reaction score
I have tried several cheapy OBD Scanners, they are OK on newer vehicles, but seem to lack older protocols, or older vehicles, and wouldn't work on my 97 F150

However, this one works great on my 97 F150, and all my other vehicles foreign and domestic.

I even had an issue with an inspection station that couldn't connect to my F150, but this adapter connects perfect every time.

For $21 I bought one for each of my vehicles and just leave it in the car, comes in handy all the time

I use this with "Torque" for Android (android has a bunch of OBD tools for free, iPhone has some])

Torque is really nice and works really well. Digital dashboard, along with alerts for whatever you want to configure, temp, rpm, etc

I have also used this on my laptop with Forscan as well.

I haven't found any vehicle that it won't connect to, that supports OBDII protocol

https://amzn.to/3hTDbue

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk