Deep Trans Pan on 4R100 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking to put a deeper transmission pan on my 99 EB, 4x4, 5.4L, 4R100 for additional cooling. I'm seriously looking at the Derale 14208 pan, but I'm not exactly sure if I need to buy a different filter with it. Some of the other pans I have looked at said they needed a 2wd filter instead of the 4wd filter. Some also claim to need the 5R110 filter. Summit's site claims I don't need a different filter. UGGGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!!

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone has experience with this pan. BUUUUT.....I'm also open to suggestions on other pans. I'm not trying to spend $500, but I'm not looking to skimp out on a $75 pan either.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
but I'm not exactly sure if I need to buy a different filter with it.
If it is just a deeper pan you should be able to use same filter as long a you fill the fluid level back up to the proper height on the dipstick.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you want a deeper pan? Additional cooling capacity? A drain plug?

If it’s cooling capacity you’re after, on my old 2000, I installed a 6.0L diesel 4r100 cooler. The thing was gigantic. Prior to install I’d see trans temps around 190-210 while city driving in the summer WITHOUT towing. After install, it barely ever got above 160.

if it’s a drain plug, my 2000 had a drain plug. I assume all 4r100s did. But perhaps not.

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you want a deeper pan? Additional cooling capacity? A drain plug?

If it’s cooling capacity you’re after, on my old 2000, I installed a 6.0L diesel 4r100 cooler. The thing was gigantic. Prior to install I’d see trans temps around 190-210 while city driving in the summer WITHOUT towing. After install, it barely ever got above 160.

if it’s a drain plug, my 2000 had a drain plug. I assume all 4r100s did. But perhaps not.
I was looking for cooling capacity. I've got a Hayden cooler on it for the time being, and it helps a lot, but not like the 6.0 cooler. I've been trying for months to find one that somebody doesn't want an organ for a down payment on. People think those things are gold plated.

I put the Derale pan on but haven't had a chance to give it a fair evaluation. My fan clutch went out, and temps have been cooler this week than normal. As soon out temps go back up and the humidity returns to it's normal 400%, I'm going to hook up my trailer and pull it around a bit to see what happens.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a PML pan on my '03, but it's a R70W tranny. Good pan though, and uses stock 4x4 filter and comes with allen head SS mounting bolts. Holds extra 3.5 qts. over stock capacity. Doesn't hang below the engine's oil pan. Still guarded by the frame. No issues in 200k miles. There's a boss on the side to drill and mount a trans temp sending unit, as well as a magnetic drain plug.

PML Aluminum Trans Pan

OO8wlp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a PML pan on my '03, but it's a R70W tranny. Good pan though, and uses stock 4x4 filter and comes with allen head SS mounting bolts. Holds extra 3.5 qts. over stock capacity. Doesn't hang below the engine's oil pan. Still guarded by the frame. No issues in 200k miles. There's a boss on the side to drill and mount a trans temp sending unit, as well as a magnetic drain plug.

PML Aluminum Trans Pan

View attachment 69586

I went with the Derale 14208. It also uses the stock 4x4 filter, has a magnetic drain plug, adds an extra 7 qts capacity, and has a bung for an oil pressure gauge. I moved the oil line down from the test port. It hangs about flush with the transmission cross member. I hope it doesn't cause an issue...but I don't think it will.
20210711_102446 (2).jpg20210711_110124 (1).jpg

Animalv

Reaction score
I put the Derale on my 94 bronco but only got about 200 KM on it still need to hook trans temp up. On my 99 dualy i used the MagHytech so far I only see 128* on it but still cool out yet. I like them both and they both use the 4x4 filter.