Definition of Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An Expedition is a truck based, body on frame, similar dimensions to a F150. I have a hard time saying its an SUV, like a Rav 4 or Nissan Rouge. Those are more like unibody cars.
I look at it the other way and think of SUVs as a body on a truck frame. I call all the smaller ones that are basically lifted station wagons crossovers.
I don't know if the first SUVs were on truck frames but when the term got popular most of them were. The Chevy Blazer, Ford Explorer, Suburban, K5 Blazer we're all truck frames. Remember when jeep was the only one that had a unibody for the Grand Cherokee and they used it as a marketing feature (NOT) but everyone actually hated it. Even the Jeep people would have rather had an actual frame or they could have had it easier lifting abilities but the Jeep mentality is such a cult following that they rationalized it and got over it.
I guess it's the utility part of the sport utility that I think means I should be on a truck frame.. The smaller ones that are just cars with rear cargo areas should be called carryalls or multi-purpose.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember when Corvettes were touted as having a truck chassis with a fiberglass body. Probably explains why the c1 and c2 rode so horrible, but they did keep those bias ply tires planted, sorta. Problem is, that SUV people want it all. They want horsepower, luxury, and a killer ride, like a Lincoln Town car. Oh yeah and be able to go to the mountains during the ski season. Like Vail, or Tahoe. But in life theirs trade-off so their will always be a person that loves or hates something.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I look at it the other way and think of SUVs as a body on a truck frame. I call all the smaller ones that are basically lifted station wagons crossovers.
I don't know if the first SUVs were on truck frames but when the term got popular most of them were. The Chevy Blazer, Ford Explorer, Suburban, K5 Blazer we're all truck frames. Remember when jeep was the only one that had a unibody for the Grand Cherokee and they used it as a marketing feature (NOT) but everyone actually hated it. Even the Jeep people would have rather had an actual frame or they could have had it easier lifting abilities but the Jeep mentality is such a cult following that they rationalized it and got over it.
I guess it's the utility part of the sport utility that I think means I should be on a truck frame.. The smaller ones that are just cars with rear cargo areas should be called carryalls or multi-purpose.

The unibody ones are actually called CUVs or Crossover Utility Vehicles (for the most part). They used to be lumped in with full size SUVs, but since theres been such a surge in demand and market segment fragmentation of them, the name is now properly used.
The Explorer, for example, is absolutely a slightly larger and higher station wagon. Its actually listed as such on the title. And it can go off road too, however those who buy it usually don't. I know I'm guilty of that, but damn it's tough to find that much cargo space on something with AWD that also doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully it'll see some mud in the upcoming months.

NB gonna have to mark me down as a hypocrite Toby, as I did just wander off topic.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the 4runner is the last of body on frame mid sized SUV and it's being redesigned soon.

Was the crown vic/Lincoln town car the last sedan that was body on frame?

Heck even sedans are going to go the way of the dinosaur soon as the buying public is all in for CUVs.

I wonder if the new Bronco & Trail Blazer will be body on frame vehicles?

Last edited:
OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its funny we started out with truck like cars in the beginning, at the start of the 20th century, and we're heading full circle, albeit really nice, smooth clean running vehicles. Makes you wonder what comes after the SUV/CUV vehicles get long in the tooth. Wonder if we'll still be using gasoline in 2039? By then, maybe the 7th edition Expedition, or whatever they call it, will be a supercharged 4 cylinder with 600 horsepower, and get 40 mpg. Price? Right around $150,000 for the Platinum.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The unibody ones are actually called CUVs or Crossover Utility Vehicles (for the most part). They used to be lumped in with full size SUVs, but since theres been such a surge in demand and market segment fragmentation of them, the name is now properly used.
The Explorer, for example, is absolutely a slightly larger and higher station wagon. Its actually listed as such on the title. And it can go off road too, however those who buy it usually don't. I know I'm guilty of that, but damn it's tough to find that much cargo space on something with AWD that also doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully it'll see some mud in the upcoming months.

NB gonna have to mark me down as a hypocrite Toby, as I did just wander off topic.

See, it's ok. Somebody will learn something. I knew the CUV term I just always say crossover for the smaller ones.
Does unibody make the determination??? Aren't Jeep Grand Cherokees considered or called SUVs by Jeep and most others?? They were the first unibody standout as I mentioned above.

The Explorer was an SUV when it had a body on frame...and most still call it an SUV but it is a unibody now correct? and it going back to frame did I read???

That's where the terms can get messy.
I guess I just do a size thing. If its big or at least medium size or bigger it gets called SUV: if smaller it gets crossover....or sometimes I say little SUV too.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, it's ok. Somebody will learn something. I knew the CUV term I just always say crossover for the smaller ones.
Does unibody make the determination??? Aren't Jeep Grand Cherokees considered or called SUVs by Jeep and most others?? They were the first unibody standout as I mentioned above.

The Explorer was an SUV when it had a body on frame...and most still call it an SUV but it is a unibody now correct? and it going back to frame did I read???

That's where the terms can get messy.
I guess I just do a size thing. If its big or at least medium size or bigger it gets called SUV: if smaller it gets crossover....or sometimes I say little SUV too.

I thought the unibody determined the name, but apparently it is size. Although I've just gone by size as well, it's easier to distinguish that way.

The Explorer is staying unibody btw. It is, however, going back to RWD biased w/AWD as an option, as opposed to FWD biased.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew I read something that made me happy about the Explorer. That must be it because rear-wheel-drive with the option for all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive even better makes me happy.
A real a real frame makes me happy too. It's not just because I'm old school. I actually think it's simpler for future and old-age repairs.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew I read something that made me happy about the Explorer. That must be it because rear-wheel-drive with the option for all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive even better makes me happy.
A real a real frame makes me happy too. It's not just because I'm old school. I actually think it's simpler for future and old-age repairs.

The intelligent AWD is an upgraded 4WD. While not explicitly labelled as such, 4 Hi and 4 Lo can be enabled.