Design Miscue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at the backend of an Explorer and then an Edge yesterday at a traffic light and thought, "man those dual exhausts look nice". What was the Expedition Team thinking when they signed off at final design review? :yucky: I fully expected the 2019 model year to get changed...anyone know if the 2020's will?

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
I was looking at the backend of an Explorer and then an Edge yesterday at a traffic light and thought, "man those dual exhausts look nice". What was the Expedition Team thinking when they signed off at final design review? :yucky:

I fully expected the 2019 model year to get changed...

I don't know what you mean by this.. nothing is changing on the 2019's..

anyone know if the 2020's will?

No, the 2020's do not have dual exhaust either.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/16/2020-ford-expedition-review/#slide-2160370

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at the backend of an Explorer and then an Edge yesterday at a traffic light and thought, "man those dual exhausts look nice". What was the Expedition Team thinking when they signed off at final design review? :yucky: I fully expected the 2019 model year to get changed...anyone know if the 2020's will?

The mid cycle refresh is slated for release in 2021 as a my2022 with the hybrid model headlining the change.

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I for one can’t stand dual exhaust. Why? Because I tow! Nothing is worse than two pipes blowing exhaust on your legs and in your face while hooking up a trailer. Shutting off the truck to avoid it sucks too, so turn downs and side exhaust have my vote! I am interested in a polished replacement for the factory resonator but have not committed to it yet.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

single side exit exhaust on trucks!!!!

Not just towing but loading and unloading stuff.
I need to Get around to doing the side exit

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be in for a side exhaust too - this is definitely a "first world problem" but I park backed up against the garage door (outside) and when I start up on cold mornings, the exhaust is thick enough (i.e. visible) to block the garage door optical sensor and I can't close it. I have to drive ahead a few feet and then hit the button...

Sounds miniscule but this has caused me to leave the door open accidentally. I'll get over it... :)

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate rear exhaust on vehicles with a hatch and hitch. The damn steam is always in your face or on your pants and such. It doesn't hurt anything but its just stupid. My previous car had hi flow cats and rear exhaust and every time I hooked a trailer up or opened the rear hatch the heat and steam and stink was in the car or in my face. Good luck to GM on their shiny exhaust pipes on their new anemic 5.3L.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To each their own but this gets my vote.

rd-Explorer-SUV-Base-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Photo-1.jpg

NO doubt the look is better! What did we do to all our muscle cars and performance cars?? Put duals on them.
I dislike that so many new cars have duals because it is SO much extra cost especially when you have to get exhaust work done.
No real performance advantage in a a daily driver or an SUV. I have never burned my tires in any of my SUVs or ever seen a redline or even high rpm shift.
I have fast cars for that.

I see the desire for side for convenience with hitches. Trucks almost always had a side exhaust. Maybe because with a rear when the tailgate is down it pools fumes under there and bad on paint etc.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bad on paint etc.
This is true. I think the Lincoln Aviator has duals but they exit below the tips instead of the duals that show out behind the bumper for this very reason.