Difference in Offset Before Adverse Effects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dd3729

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a 2015 Expedition Limited EL. I want to upgrade from 20s to 22s. The stock offset is 44. I found 2 different sets of rims (same design), one with a 44 offset, and the other with a 31 offset. So there is a 13mm difference which puts the wheel out about half an inch. The 31 offset wheel is $400 cheaper though.

My main concern is saving $400 gonna be worth any extra strain on the wheel bearing and suspension. I have searched around and what I am seeing is that generally one should not deviate more than a 5mm difference in offset from stock. However, I cannot get an idea of how much extra strain this will put on wheel bearings.

A quick google search shows that bearings only need to be replaced about every 100k miles and may cost around $250 - $300 for parts and labor. That is not bad.

So, do you guys think a 13mm difference is so small that it won't be too noticeable. For example maybe the bearings will need to be replaced at 80k or 90k miles instead? Or, will the difference be enough that I should stay away from it if I don't want to be dumping extra money to make up for it?

Note: truck is stock height and the wheel diameter will be about the same as stock after the upgrade. I drive primarily pavement with an occasional trip to Tahoe.