Differential and wheel bearing leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was under the Expedition last week replacing the sway bar bushings, I noticed leaks starting in the four following locations.

1. Inside of front passenger side wheel bearing
2. Each side of the differential where the half shafts exit
3. inside of rear passenger side wheel bearing wheel bearing

I would assume these are powertrain warranty issues. I’ve owned it for just a little under 3 years and I have 29,000 miles.

I wonder if these leaks may be the reason for a lot of the wheel bearing failures.

How soon should I take it in? The other problem is I need a loaner vehicle capable of carrying 7 people.
0757687E-3D4C-4FE9-8F14-E0C894A4363D.jpeg6973DB01-4A35-44A0-83D3-611AA7E86E00.jpeg
FFB3DA04-EA6B-4634-B9D0-2A01F812DFDC.jpegA3D7049B-F16A-443A-B752-EC36B33E824A.jpeg

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just posted in the mileage thread a little bit ago of a list of things requiring replacement or repair on my 2018. Axle seals and rear diff pinion seals was on that list.

Last edited:

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the pics, I expect that you are looking at [normal] migration of assembly grease as opposed to differential fluid leakage in the case of the differential and the same thing with the front wheel bearings. The reason I say that about the differential is the lack of "drips" on the differential housing and no sign of flinging on surrounding parts. Dynamic seals can leak in 2 ways: Around the outside (static) side of the seal, which will tend to leak constantly and leave garage floor drips because the bottom of the static side is generally "wet" when parked. The second way is on the dynamic part of the seal. Normally this type of failure will result in "flinging" of grease from the shaft during operation, leaving "tracks" on the underbody and other parts in the fling path. I don't see those things in the pics.

The area where you see the black on the 2wd front wheel bearings is not an area that would likely leak; however, assembly oil or grease would be used during of assembly of the cartridge to the knuckle that would be "pressed" to the inside during assembly. Leaks from inside of such a bearing would likely be on the shaft side since that's where the seals are.

On a side note there are a lot of posts on this forum about failed front wheel bearings on these vehicles (and F150's) and I have experienced many failed front wheel bearings on F150's myself. Of all of the failures I've personally experienced NONE of them failed seals. They were all bearing failures that did not result in grease expulsion.

That being said, the average dealer would probably do lots of work under warranty to make you happy. However, keep in mind that with long running parts common across model years and vehicle lines (ie. seals and bearings) the parts organization and the production organization buy parts from two different supply streams and even different suppliers with differing quality levels, expected lifecycles, etc....The parts organization NEVER stocks parts of superior quality or longer expected life cycle to the production parts...

Just saying.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bob makes all good points after viewing pics. Drips to me would be evident of leaking. Ford may just spray clean the area's and have you bring it back for a inspection. My opinion only.

OP
OP
wakeboarder

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the pics, I expect that you are looking at [normal] migration of assembly grease as opposed to differential fluid leakage in the case of the differential and the same thing with the front wheel bearings. The reason I say that about the differential is the lack of "drips" on the differential housing and no sign of flinging on surrounding parts. Dynamic seals can leak in 2 ways: Around the outside (static) side of the seal, which will tend to leak constantly and leave garage floor drips because the bottom of the static side is generally "wet" when parked. The second way is on the dynamic part of the seal. Normally this type of failure will result in "flinging" of grease from the shaft during operation, leaving "tracks" on the underbody and other parts in the fling path. I don't see those things in the pics.

The area where you see the black on the 2wd front wheel bearings is not an area that would likely leak; however, assembly oil or grease would be used during of assembly of the cartridge to the knuckle that would be "pressed" to the inside during assembly. Leaks from inside of such a bearing would likely be on the shaft side since that's where the seals are.

On a side note there are a lot of posts on this forum about failed front wheel bearings on these vehicles (and F150's) and I have experienced many failed front wheel bearings on F150's myself. Of all of the failures I've personally experienced NONE of them failed seals. They were all bearing failures that did not result in grease expulsion.

That being said, the average dealer would probably do lots of work under warranty to make you happy. However, keep in mind that with long running parts common across model years and vehicle lines (ie. seals and bearings) the parts organization and the production organization buy parts from two different supply streams and even different suppliers with differing quality levels, expected lifecycles, etc....The parts organization NEVER stocks parts of superior quality or longer expected life cycle to the production parts...

Just saying.
Good points. I’ll just keep an eye on them for now. I must say I was most surprised by the black on the back of the front wheel bearing.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good points. I’ll just keep an eye on them for now. I must say I was most surprised by the black on the back of the front wheel bearing.
The black color at the wheel ends is from the brake dust that "clouds" the area during braking and sticks to anything sticking or statically charged. It's the same black that you wash off of your wheels. The amount of available dust is greater in the front and may even stick to some dry components (like wheels). I'll make a point of checking out my 4x4 at the next oil change for similar dust patterns.

Eyecando

Reaction score
I had the same differential leaks on my 2019 Platinum and there was oil leaking. The complete differential was resealed.